Happy Birthday

Kazuto's p.o.v.

I woke up in my bed with Asuna by my side. She was sleeping peacefully in my arms, just as she normally would. I didn't want to wake her up, so I just laid there until she woke up. She'd been pretty moody lately, so I was trying to keep her happy. After the scare with the hospital and our fight, I was pretty careful of Asuna's emotional state. As the months had gone by, she'd only gotten easier to put off, so I thought out most of what I said and did before doing it.

Asuna turned over to look at me in bed. She smiled at me and I kissed her on the forehead. She'd kind of been confined to the bed or the couch because it was difficult for her to walk, so when I was at work, I would often come back to find her in exactly the same place as I'd left her. That was just one thing that made her upset, so whenever I could, I would take her out somewhere and let her stretch her legs. 

"Good morning, Asuna.", I said.

"Good morning.", she said back with a soft smile.

Asuna laid her head on my chest and just stayed there for a moment. It was only a week's time until she was due, so she had grown quite a bit. Some of her shirts didn't fit, along with a lot of her dresses. She stayed in her pajamas most of the time, unless we went out somewhere. It was also difficult for her to give me a hug, so most of the time, I just hugged her from behind. 

"I don't want to get up.", she said.

"Well, luckily, you don't have to. It's Saturday, so I don't have work. You can use me as a pillow as long as you want.", I said smiling. 

Asuna just laughed and kissed my cheek, then laid her head back down and closed her eyes. I smiled and looked up at the ceiling fan, which spun quickly, blowing cool air around the room. I watched a specific blade of the fan as it went around and kept myself entertained that way while Asuna went back to sleep on me. 

My phone rang and I reached over and took it off the nightstand to answer it. I looked at who was calling. It was Sugu.

"Hello?", I said, answering the phone and holding it up to my ear.

"Hey, bro. I was just wondering if you and Asuna felt like meeting Mom and I for supper. We were going to Olive Garden for Mom's birthday.", Sugu said.

"Sure. We'll be there.", I said.

"Ok, thanks. She doesn't know, so don't tell her. I'm surprising her with a visit from Dad, who's supposed to be in America, right now. He's getting on a plane back in a few hours.", Sugu said happily.

Dad had been out of the country for the past three months and was supposed to come home next week. The last time I saw him, Asuna had just gotten out of the hospital after that incident and I still wasn't allowed to go back to work.

"Cool. Sounds great. I gotta go. Asuna's asleep and I don't want to wake her. I'll see you tonight.", I said.

"Ok, see you then.", she said. 

I hung up and put the phone back on the nightstand.

"Who was that?", Asuna asked sleepily.

"Sugu. She invited us to Olive Garden for my mom's birthday.", I explained.

"Tonight?", she asked.

"Yup.", I said.

"Ok. At least we have the day to ourselves.", Asuna said.

I nodded and closed my eyes again. I'd had a hard week, finally getting my console idea approved and sent into production. The news was booming with the arrival of the new game. I'd already contacted a bunch of the gaming companies to start on video games to play on the new console. I was glad it was finally behind me and I could actually relax for a while.