Coping

Asuna's P.O.V.

I looked at the clock to find that it was 12:45, five minutes later than the last time I looked. I had Finley and Miles laid down on the couch on either side of me while I was holding their bottles in their mouths with both hands. Kazuto said he may not be coming home for lunch today, so I was pretty much alone for the day unless he decided to show up.  

It'd been about a month and a half since I gave birth to the twins and they were growing bigger every day. They didn't look like newborns, they looked like babies, now. At the moment, Finley was wearing a little pink onesie that she'd spit up on twice and Miles was wearing a blue one that was clean. 

I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I was looking forward to their naps, which would be as soon as they finished their bottles. Poor Miles was already falling asleep as he ate. is little eyes were struggling to stay open. I smiled at the sight of him struggling then looked at Finley. She looked as awake as ever. I sighed because I knew that she wasn't going to want to take a nap. It was like that every day. Miles fell asleep without a fuss and Finley screamed and cried until she tired herself out and gave up. 

Kazuto had gone back to work three weeks ago, but I was still coping with being home alone with the babies. He usually came home at lunch and played with them while he and I ate. Today was the first day that he couldn't come home, and I was struggling to keep my head on straight. 

I looked back down at Miles's bottle to find that he had completely fallen asleep while it was almost empty. Finley, on the other hand, was just finishing up the last drops of her bottle. I took it away before she started getting air out of it. She started fussing, so I picked her up and laid her over my burp rag-clad shoulder and began patting her back. 

Miles lay asleep on the couch beside me with his little hand curled around the edge of one of the throw pillows. I looked back at the clock. It was only 12:48. Today was going to be a lo-o-o-ong day.

~~

I had just laid the twins down and I could hear Finley starting to fuss. I tried to ignore it as I walked into the kitchen and started getting out ingredients for lunch. I decided to make myself a tuna sandwich, so I got out some bread and a can of tuna. Five minutes into making my sandwich, I heard the door open and close. 

"Babe? Is that you?", I called.

"Yeah. I don't have that long, but I thought I'd come home and take a minute to spend with my beautiful wife.", Kazuto said as he walked out of the foyer and into the kitchen. 

I smiled tiredly at he as he walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer so that I was right up against him. I put my hands on the backs of his shoulders and then let them slide down to his lower back and clasped them there. 

Kazuto smiled down at me with his dark eyes and that charming smile that made me melt every time he put it on. My smile became less and less tired and more and more genuine as I stood there looking into his eyes. He leaned down to kiss me and I met him half way.  

When the kiss ended, Kazuto hugged me tightly and kissed right behind my ear. When he let me go, I laid my head on his chest and took a deep breath to clear my thoughts. I had been so stressed about a bunch of things, but seeing him made all the stress go away. 

"Are Miles and Finley asleep?", Kazuto asked.

"Yeah, well, sort of. Miles is passed out, but Finley... Well, you know Finley.", I replied.

"I could hear her as soon as I came in the door. I see why you spend most of your time in the kitchen. You can't hear them hardly at all in here.", Kazuto chuckled.