Paranoia and Snuggles on Snow Days

Kazuto's P.O.V.

My eyes fell upon an empty bedroom. I looked over at the other side of the bed where Asuna slept. She stirred and sat up in bed, putting a hand on my shoulder. All the windows were closed and the bedroom door was still closed. My amusphere sat on the nightstand where I'd put it after playing it just hours ago. 

"What's wrong?", Asuna asked groggily.

"Nothing. Just a bad dream. I'll be ok. Go back to sleep. I'm just gonna go check up on the twins." I replied.

"Ok. Do you want me to come with you?", she asked.

"No, I'll be alright.", I said.

She nodded and laid back down, snuggling up to her pillow and drawing the blankets around her. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and got up, walking around to the door and creeping through it. the hallway was void of strangers or robbers, so I made my way to the nursery where Finley and Miles slept. 

As I entered the room, I was hit by a blast of cold air. Asuna liked to keep it cooler in her because the twins got really hot during the night. We would get them up in the morning and have to bathe them because they were sweaty. 

I tiptoed into the nursery and peered into each crib where Finley and Miles slept peacefully and soundlessly. I smiled at each of them and then checked to make sure the window was locked, which it was. 

Satisfied, I crept back out of the room and walked into the kitchen. I hit the switch and turned on the light. Everything was exactly the way we'd left it before going to bed. Spotless. Asuna hated going to bed with the kitchen dirty.

I walked over to the refrigerator and opened it up. There was a pitcher of cold water in it, which I took out and set on the counter. I let the fridge close, then grabbed a cup from the cabinet. I poured myself a cup of water and then put the pitcher back, sitting down at the table afterward. 

Asuna and I had played ALO tonight and explored the underwater dungeon we'd found a long time ago. We gained tons of experience and leveled up multiple times on that mission alone. At the very end of the dungeon, we faced Leviathon, which wasn't nearly as strong as it was made out to be. We didn't find any legendary weapons, but we got a bunch of yuld from it. 

As I sat there sipping my water, I let my mind wander until I eventually began thinking about that night a few months ago when Asuna and I woke up in the middle of the night to find a couple of robbers in the house. I was just glad that they hadn't come after the twins were born. If they had, I don't know what would have happened. 

I remembered the promise that I made to Asuna that night. I told her that I would always be there to protect her and keep her safe. I had no intention of ever breaking that promise, but it was hard knowing that there were two babies and my wife who all depended on me to protect them and keep away all harm. There was so much weight to a promise like that, albeit a load I happily carried. I knew that there was absolutely no fooling around when it came to keeping my family safe and one slip up could end in me losing them forever. I couldn't let that happen.

I took the last sip of my water just as the light in the dining room flicked on, revealing Asuna leaning against the door post. She looked at me, then looked at the glass in my hand. I knew what she was thinking.

"It's just water.", I said before she could ask. I was positive that there wasn't even any alcohol in the house.

"Ok, but what are you doing in here in the middle of the night? I thought you had run off or something. It scared me. What's wrong?", Asuna said, walking over and putting her arms around me.