Going Home

Asuna's p.o.v.

The day after the twins were born, I woke up to the sound of crying. My eyes flew open and I sat up in bed. I saw Kazuto sitting beside my bed, holding both of the twins and rocking them gently. Finley was crying softly. She wasn't screaming, just sort of crying. I smiled and leaned over in the bed to look at them. Kazuto looked at me and smiled. He got up and handed Finley to me.

I cradled her head and bounced her lightly. She quieted down and just babbled sweetly. Of the two, she was definitely more vocal. I set her on my lap and grinned as her little arms waved a little out of control. I took her tiny hands and she grabbed each of my thumbs. Her skin was so soft.

"This was so worth it.", I smiled.

"Yeah. We're pretty amazing, huh?", Kazuto said, sitting down on the edge of my bed. 

I leaned on his shoulder and smiled, looking down at our babies. I couldn't help but get immensely happy when looking at either one of them, especially when I looked at the both of them. They were both awake and staring contently up at us. Miles had hold of Kazuto's sleeve and was holding onto it like it was his lifeline. 

The door opened up and Dr. Sato walked in.

"Aw, look at the happy family.", he smiled as he came in.

I just kept smiling down at my children as Dr. Sato walked over to the monitor that I was hooked up to and started checking stuff. He wrote some things down, then turned off the machines.

"Can I see your hand?", he asked.

I nodded and took my thumb gently from Finley's grasp. Dr. Sato took my hand and slowly removed the tape and needle from my wrist. He unhooked it from the I.V. and tossed them both in the quarantine container.

"As soon as you get some paperwork singed, you can take your new family home. You'll need to come back for a few appointments every month for a little while, but that should be it. They're both really healthy and nothing went wrong with you in the birth, so you should be alright to go home.", he said smiling.

"Thank you.", Kazuto and I both said.

Dr. Sato nodded, then left the room. Kazuto stood up and sat back down in his chair. I took Finley in my arms again and then carefully got up off the bed. I laid her down in the middle of the bed and then turned to pick up my spare clothes from the bag in the extra chair. 

I quickly changed into my sweatpants, which now fit much better, and my favorite pink shirt. When I had my flip flops on, I turned around and picked up Finley again. She was still cooing and smiling slightly. I tickled her cheek and she smiled up at me with her toothless little mouth. I couldn't help smiling at her adorable face.

"Well, I'll go fill out the papers. Can I trade you?", he asked.

"Uh, sure. Why?", I asked, handing him Finley and taking Miles.

"Because she's a little happier and I think he's about to start crying. I'm still not quite that great at soothing them.", he said.

"I could take them both.", I laughed.

"No.", he said, holding Finley close to him and smiling.

I just rolled my eyes and smiled as I took Miles in my arms and looked down at him. His bottom lip was stuck out and his amber eyes were starting to tear up a little. 

"Shh, hey. It's ok, baby.", I said softly, bouncing and swaying to calm him down. 

Miles didn't even cry out or whine. His tears dried and his lip stopped quivering. I held him up and cuddled him to my cheek. Kazuto smiled, then walked over to me. He kissed Miles's head, then kissed me. He took Finley and left the room. 

Miles took a fistful of my hair and held onto it. He didn't pull it, but he held onto it. I looked down at his raven black hair that was just like his dad's, sticking up in one or two places. I bit my lip as I smiled and stroked his hair down a little. It went straight back up, just like Kazuto's would.

"You are my little treasure, Miles. You and your sister. I love you so much.", I said, cuddling him to my cheek again. 

He cooed softly and I felt his hand let go of my hair. His hand flattened on my neck and stayed there. I swayed back and forth and hummed a quiet song. I was so happy right now, standing here with my newborn son and singing to him. I stayed that way for a few more minutes until Kazuto walked back in. He smiled and walked over, putting an arm around my waist and pulling me close. Finley was still babbling away and letting her arms wave around. 

"We can go, now. I just had to sign you out. I the nurse is going to make sure that they both h ave car seats and that they get properly strapped in, then we can leave.", Kazuto said.

"Well, I'm ready to go home, so let's go.", I said.

Kazuto nodded and took his arm back. I turned around to the hospital bag and picked it up. It was a little lighter than it was yesterday morning. It was still a strange thought that 24 hours ago, I was pregnant, but now, I was taking both of my children home. I was definitely excited and happy.

I put my purse on my shoulder and Kazuto took the hospital bag. We looked around, making sure we had everything, then Kazuto opened the door and we walked out. Kazuto took my hand as we walked down the hallway and out of the hospital. One of the nurses from last night came to watch us strap them both in, then checked to make sure they were properly secured. After that, we got into the car and drove back home. 

We pulled into the driveway and I sighed in relief. We were home with our family for the first time. This was the house they would grow up in. I would get to watch them as they lived their whole lives. 

Kazuto and I got out and I kept my door open as I opened the back seat and started unstrapping Miles. He looked so tiny in his car seat that I just wanted to hug him. So, as you can imagine, I did just that. I pulled him out of the car seat and held him close to my chest as I picked up my purse and shut both car doors. 

Kazuto took Finley and we both walked up the sidewalk to the front door. He unlocked it and we went in. As soon as we walked in, I saw pink and blue balloons with a big 'welcome home' banner hanging from the opposite wall. There was a vase of flowers sitting on the coffee table in the living room and the sweet smell of pastry was wafting through the house. 

"Oh, I forgot. Sugu asked if she could come and drop some things off for us at the house. I guess this is what she was talking about.", Kazuto laughed.

"Well, that was sweet. We'll have to be sure and thank her the next time we see her.", I said smiling and walking into the house. 

I let my purse fall from my shoulder onto my arm, then set it down on the ground by the door. I slid off my flip flops and then walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. I looked around the room for a moment, then looked back down at my baby, who was asleep in my arms. Kazuto sat down beside me and put his arm around my shoulders. I laid my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, smiling and enjoying this moment.