The Waiting Game

Asuna's p.o.v.

"Your son has contracted a serious strain of the flu virus, but the good news is that at the moment he is showing positive signs.", the doctor said.

"And the bad news?", I asked, my voice cracking.

"The bad news is that until his condition improves, we have to keep him isolated. You won't be able to see him. He'll have to stay in the ICU facilities until he is up for visits. I'll keep you posted, but at the moment, he needs rest. I would also like to check you and the rest of your family to make sure that none of the rest of you have contracted the virus. I just need to do some quick tests and they won't take more than five minutes.", he said.

"I understand.", I said morosely. 

I wasn't even able to comfort my sick, tired baby? How was he supposed to get better if he was missing me the whole time? If all I was able to do was look at him through a glass wall, how was I supposed to know he was really getting better? It's like looking into an aquarium. Like a whole new world that you're almost completely oblivious to. 

I walked back to where Kazuto and Finley slept. Kazuto stirred and woke up when I laid my hand on his shoulder. He sat up and looked at me, then at the doctor.

"What happened?", he asked immediately, suddenly wide awake.

"Miles has a bad strain of the flu and until he gets better, we can't see him. I mean, we can see, him, but we can't be with him. He's confined to the ICU facilities until further notice. They also want to run some tests to make sure that we don't have the virus too.", I repeated.

"Is he gonna be alright?", Kazuto asked.

"They said there's no reason he shouldn't be, but he still isn't up for visitation yet, so we have to leave it to the professionals.", I said.

Kazuto nodded grimly as he stood up slowly with Finley still in his arms. She stirred, but as far as we could tell, didn't wake up. I sighed and pulled my coat tighter around me as I turned to follow the doctor to be tested.

We walked down a hallway and into a small room with a cot and a few chairs. A counter with a sink and some cabinets sat in one corner of the room and a computer on a small desk sat on the wall next to the counter.

Kazuto sat down on a chair with Finley and I stood next to him. The doctor walked in behind us and began pulling things out of drawers and cabinets by the sink. He had three small syringes and a few cotton balls. Next, he pulled out a bottle of sanitizing alcohol and laid it all out on the counter. 

"I'm going to have to draw some blood from each of you. It's the quickest and most efficient way to make sure none of you have the virus. I'll do you two first and save the little one for last.", he said.

I nodded and rolled up the sleeve of my coat to let the doctor take my blood. He unwrapped one of the syringes and uncapped it. I stuck out my arm and he inserted the needle right behind my elbow. I winced at the pain but didn't move. He quickly withdrew some blood, then capped the syringe and placed it in a plastic bag. When he had done that, he dabbed my arm with the disinfectant alcohol and gave me a band-aid.

He repeated the process on Kazuto, then finally on Finley. He did it while she was still asleep so that she wouldn't be as frightened of it. Surprisingly, she didn't wake up, only squirmed a bit after he withdrew the needle. When he finished, he put all three syringes in separate plastic bags, then left the room with them.

"Asuna, he'll be alright. I know it's hard being separated from him, but he's going to be ok.", Kazuto said in a hushed voice.

"How can you be so sure? He's just a baby. He's not even a year old yet. How do you know that he'll make it through this when he doesn't even have his mother and father to comfort him?", I asked.