Visiting Hours

Asuna's P.O.V.

I woke up in the hospital to find Kazuto sitting beside me asleep on the edge of the bed. He was holding my hand and his head was laid down on his arms. I smiled and looked around a little more. The clock on the wall in front of me said that it was 4:00 in the afternoon. There was a large bouquet of flowers in a vase by my bed with a note attached to it. I took the note off and read it. 

To: Asuna Kirigaya

From: Mom and Dad

Sorry that you're in the hospital. We thought you might enjoy these to keep your spirits up. P.S. Don't let Kazuto come to work until at least a week after you get out.

I smiled at the note and put it back down on the table. The needles in my arm poked me a little uncomfortably. The twins were kicked in protest. I sighed and put a hand to my belly, rubbing softly in an attempt to calm them down. It didn't really work, but at least they weren't hurting me.

Kazuto stirred and looked up at me. I laid my head back down on the pillow and smiled at him. He smiled back and lifted his head, not letting go of my hand. He popped his neck twice, then sat up. 

"How are you feeling?", he asked.

"Fine. I'm not tired anymore and I want to get up, but I have a feeling the doctor will get onto me if I do that.", I said.

"Yeah, don't do that.", Kazuto said. 

"I'm not.", I said.

Kazuto looked stressed and a little upset. I squeezed his hand. 

"Look, I'm sorry. I just didn't think. I know that I should have taken better care of myself, and I know that I shouldn't have made you worry.", she said.

"Yes, you should have taken care of yourself. I can't be there to make sure that you're doing what you need to be doing and getting the things you need. I wish that I could be, but I can't. You have to be more responsible than that. Sorry won't fix this, only you can fix this. I wish that there were more that I could do, but Asuna, I am trying my hardest to be there and to provide for you and our family, but I may not even have a family to take care of if you don't take care of yourself.", Kazuto said, starting to raise his voice a little. 

"I know, but you can't pretend that you're completely innocent in this. I'm left in that empty house all day. Alone. You can't just expect me to be ok with that. I know that you go to work and I know that you have things to do, but I can't do this by myself. I'm trying to bring two children into this world and I can't do that when you're gone all the time and I'm left completely alone. I hate that empty house and I hate that you're gone. I can't help it if I'm lonely.", I said in defence. 

"I get that, but I can't just drop everything and come make sure you're eating properly and getting enough to drink. I shouldn't need to be your babysitter. I'm busting my butt trying to provide for you and pretty soon, two more. I'm sorry that I can't be there at your every beck and call. Please try to see this from my side. I was worried sick that something might happen, and look. Something did happen. This was something that could have been prevented if you hadn't been so selfish that you decided to malnourish yourself.", Kazuto said, standing up and gesturing.

"You think I meant to do this? If that's what you think, then maybe you don't know me nearly as well as I thought you did. I know that you're upset and that I scared you, but I can't believe you're accusing me of being selfish! You have no idea what I'm going through right now and you definitely can't just -", I broke off as I felt tears run down my face and I started sobbing. 

Kazuto just shook his head and walked out of the room. That only made me cry harder. I knew deep down that he was right and that I was wrong for not drinking enough and making sure that I was getting the nutrients I needed. I was just under so much pressure. How was I supposed to give birth to twins? I was not prepared for this. I was scared out of my wits. 

I turned onto my side, sobbing into my pillow. If he left me, that was it. I would never be happy again. I couldn't go on in life without him and I didn't know why I was fighting with him. The whole situation was a stressful one and it was awful how I'd treated him. He didn't deserve that and I felt guilty that I'd done it. 

I knew that I had to be the one to apologize and I wanted Kazuto back here right now so that I could. I wanted him back and with me. I wanted his hand in mine, his face to smile at me again like it had not five minutes ago. I just wanted Kazuto.

~~~~~~~

Kazuto's p.o.v.

I walked out into the hall and shut the door. I leaned my back against the wall right outside and thought. What was I doing? Here I was in the hallway, when I should have been apologizing. My pregnant wife was in tears in a hospital bed because I lost my temper and stormed out. I knew that it wasn't all her fault and I knew that I shouldn't have acted like it was. 

I put my head in my hands and sighed. I was being an awful husband and I knew that I needed to make it right. How did you fix something like this? You couldn't just waltz in and apologize, then pretend that everything was fine. It wasn't fine. Nothing right now was fine. Asuna was in the hospital, she was dehydrated and she needed support, but where was I? I was out in the hallway, sulking and blaming myself. 

I took my hands away from my face and took a deep breath, then walked back into the room. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry that this is a short chapter. I am stressed with school and finals, on top of writer's block, plus I'm trying to pass a college class. I hope that you liked the chapter, regardless of it being so short. Please tell me what you thought in the comments and, if you want, please check out my other books. I'd love for you to read them and give feedback. Feel free to message me. I'm never too busy to reply and I'd love to talk with any of you.

-Scarlet