Not Your Fault

Asuna's p.o.v.

The door opened and Kazuto walked back in. He'd been gone for almost half an hour and by now, I'd managed to stop crying, but I was still upset. He looked down at the ground as he walked in and sat down by the bed. I looked at him and I felt the pain of the fight all over again. 

Tears rolled down my cheeks and I tried to wipe them away. Kazuto just caught my hands, then held them in his own. His hand slid over my wedding ring and for a moment, I thought he was about to remove it from my finger. He didn't. He just brought my hand over to his heart and held it there. 

I wanted to curl up in a ball, but that was proving to be a bit more difficult than it normally would have been. Kazuto looked up at me with sorrow in his eyes. I was about to speak and apologize, but I was cut off by his lips on mine. I froze for a moment, then embraced the kiss and embraced him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him close to me, as close as we could with the bed in the way. The kiss broke and Kazuto laid his head on my shoulder. I buried my face in his and tried to keep from crying. 

"I'm so sorry, Asuna. I'm so sorry and I can never take back what I said to you. You don't deserve somebody like me, you deserve somebody better. I'm so sorry.", he sobbed into my shoulder. 

I just hugged him tighter. 

"I'm sorry, too. It wasn't your fault and I shouldn't have blamed you for it. And you're half right. I don't deserve you, but that's because I could never amount to a person that deserves anybody half as good as you. I love you and I love our babies and I'm sorry.", I said, trying to cheer him up. 

I was still crying because I knew I was guilty as well. Kazuto just held me in his arms until I was able to stop crying. When I finally did, he sat back down and gave me a small smile, which I returned. He reached over and picked up a bottle of water that was on the table, handing it to me. I just smiled and rolled my eyes as I took it. I knew he wouldn't let me get out of drinking the whole bottle. If I thought about it, I was kind of thirsty, which I thought was good.

I took the bottle and opened it up. The water was kind of cold and I shivered as I gulped it down. I couldn't take more than a few swigs, but I did manage to drink a little bit. The babies had stopped kicking and were mostly still, with occasional movement. Kazuto and I sat in silent understanding and just enjoyed the company of one another. I laid back on the pillow and Kazuto held my hand. He hadn't let go of my hand since he'd gotten here, other than the two brief intermissions where he left the room. My finger traced hearts on the back of Kazuto's hand. 

"Do you want to go home and get a change of clothes?", I asked.

"I don't want to leave you here by yourself.", Kazuto said. 

"I'll be fine. I've got doctors at my beck and call and, if I'm correct, the nurse should be coming in any minute and I don't think she'd take too kindly to the thought of you keeping me awake, which you're not. You need to go home and eat, change, shower, do what you need to do, then you can come back and stay with me. I'll be ok and it's not like I can get up and go anywhere without the nurse knowing. She told me that there's an alarm on my bed that will tell her if I get up. I have to have her with me just to go to the bathroom, which I don't really like, but whatever. Just go. I'll see you in just a little while.", I said.

"I'll bring a bag of stuff from home. Is there anything you want, specifically?", he asked.

"Could you bring my music box and a couple of changes of clothes?", I asked.

"Sure. I'll be back really soon. Give me half an hour.", he said smiling. 

Kazuto leaned forward and kissed my forehead, then got up and left. I was left alone again. I looked around the room. There was a tv on the wall in front of me and the remote was on the bedside table. I picked up the remote and switched on the tv. It was set to a news channel with nothing but things I didn't want to hear. I switched the channel to a FOX movie Harry Potter marathon. I smiled because it was just ending the second movie and starting the third. I still hadn't seen the third one, but I'd almost finished all the books. While he was gone, I managed to completely finish one water bottle. The nurse came back in right as I threw the bottle in the trash can by my bed. While she was there, I went to the bathroom, then the nurse checked my I.V. and wrote some stuff on her paper, then left.