CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
Jasper Hale was distant. At times the girl would find him just staring at her, other times he'd just stare straight forward. The girl tried to lighten the mood by joking and leaving comments at times, but Jasper's facial expression never budged. He genuinely found the girl entertaining and appreciated her attempts, but he couldn't let his façade down, in fear of what he might do then.

A part of him appreciated his family for trusting him enough to leave him alone with the girl, but he was still on edge. What if, he asked himself, feeling a suffocating fear at the thought of hurting her in any way. He could hear movement outside the house and he knew they hadn't left him completely alone, and that was reassuring to know.

He wasn't helping the small girl that much either. He had a harder time than ever to control himself, due to her sitting only one foot away from the blonde boy. He clenched every single muscle in his body, which made it hard for him to speak so he stuck to nodding most of the time. It was uncomfortable for her, to be with someone who radiated with the emotion of just wanting to run in the other direction.

The awkward situation was saved by the sound of Alex's phone ringing. She looked over at the boy apologetically on the couch who looked back at her, before rising and walking away from the blonde. She wanted some kind of distance between herself and Jasper, so that she could have her conversation in private. She quickly answered the phone, seeing Tom's name flashing on the screen.

"What's up ginger?" his bright voice sounded through the phone, but she hardly noticed because she was standing in the hall looking out through the window, and the view was amazing. "Well, okay then... want to hang out?"

"Aren't you too hungover to leave the house?" Alex said mockingly, making him chuckle.

"You should've felt my hangover this morning, you'd understand." He said, she could practically hear the fair-haired Tom smirk through the phone. "Anyways, I'll pick you up at your house in ten."

"Wait, I'm not at home Tom." The redheaded girl spoke, turning around. She looked over her shoulder to see Jasper looking at her intently, making her shiver. She hadn't yet comprehended that she was alone in the house of the most beautiful human beings she'd ever seen.

"What, you actually left your room? Without me? I'll come pick you up, tell me where you are."

"Tom, we'll have to do this some other day, I'm studying with a friend." she said, looking over at Jasper again. He was now staring out into thin air.

"What friend? I'm gone one day and you exchange me directly."

"I'll talk to you later Tom, bye," the girl said, removing the phone from her ear. She could hear him protest before she hung up, smiling slightly. Silly boy.

She returned to Jasper who looked at her briefly, before standing up. She stopped ad stood still.

"It's getting late, do you want me to drive you home?" Alex looked at the boy, she'd hardly heard his voice in this time. She enjoyed listening to him, his voice was so soft with some kind of accent hiding in the background. She then looked down at her wristwatch, and saw that it was almost 7pm. She hadn't even noticed it, but she'd been there for almost 3 hours.

"Oh, yeah. If you don't mind, that would be great." Jasper nodded, then started to walk towards the door. She quietly followed him. He walked over to a rather new Volvo, opening the passenger seat door for her which she reluctantly entered through. Just a second later Jasper opened to door on the other side, entering the car with unnatural grace. Everything he did looked so smooth and simple, he seemed to be the definition of graceful.

She turned on the car radio when it became clear to her that no conversation would be made during the ride. She changed the channel to find something she could at least stand listening to, when she came over a channel playing "Under pressure" with David Bowie and Queen. The redhead leaned back in her chair, feeling slightly happy with the music.

Jasper, of course, caught her change of emotions, looking over at her with half a smile. She leaned back into the seat, her eyes closed. She mouthed the words to the song, obviously knowing it by heart.

"You like Queen?" he found himself asking without even thinking about it himself. She opened her eyes slowly, probably as surprised as himself that he tried to start conversation. She looked over at him as to check that she hadn't imagined it.

"Yeah, one of my favorites. Bowie too for that matter." He liked her voice, it was soft and almost a little hoarse.

"I was at a queen-concert once, one of their last ones actually." He quickly realized his mistake, swearing internally. He wasn't supposed to be more than 3 years old when the last Queen-concert took place.

"How's that-"

"I was a child, I don't actually remember anything from it."

She looked over at him, seeing him gripping tightly at the steering wheel and clenching his jaw. She took that as a hint that the conversation was over. She didn't understand the boy beside her in any way, and in a confused and annoyed daze she closed her eyes for the remainder of the journey.

They soon pulled up to her house. She got out quickly and muttered a "goodbye," before she slammed the door shut, leaving it behind and walking in through the front door. She could hear the car starting and driving away quickly, leaving her alone.

Her mother came to greet her at the door, but she just said that she was tired and left to go to her room. She didn't want to take her mood out on her mother, so she decided to write it out instead.

She hauled out her book from underneath her bed after throwing her bag on the ground, sitting down on her bed she started to fill the page with words about her day. This was something Alex often did, as she had a hard time talking to people about her feelings and thoughts. She didn't want to be the odd one out between her friends and she hated complaining about how she felt all the time - the pages never judged her, and so she fell in love with telling her journal everything she couldn't say to anyone else. She soon felt satisfied, returning the book to its original place under the bed. She kept it there because no one would ever think of looking there, so her secrets would stay just that – secrets.

Alex then got up from her bed, changing out of her jeans and blouse to an oversized t-shirt she liked to sleep in. It belonged to a friend of hers, but he didn't need it anymore so she took it - he didn't mind.

She washed of the makeup from her pale face, brushed her wavy red hair and her teeth. She felt tired, although she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep without her pills. A year had gone since she'd been diagnosed with her insomnia, and she hadn't even dared to try and sleep without the medication, purely because she was afraid of disappointing herself. She found her pills and popped one out, swallowing it with a little bit of water. This would let her sleep for a couple of hours. She walked over to her bed after that, since the pills were extremely effective and would have her knocked out in a few minutes. Tucking herself in she closed her green eyes, letting the medication do its job and have her drift off to sleep.