CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
Alex's body didn't move anymore. It scared Emmett more than anything, even though he could still hear the weak sound of her heart beating inside her chest. Rosalie was pacing through the room, trying to distract herself from the situation unfolding in front of them.

Carlisle's eyebrows were furrowed as he and his wife sat beside the still body. Esme's cold hand was pushing the hair away from Alex's forhead, which was pearling with beads of sweat.

"I can't do anything."

Emmett's head shot up, looking at his father with a stale face. "What do you mean you can't do anything? Take the venom out!"

Carlisle sighed, looking defeated. "It's too close to the heart, it's too late to do anything. She's lost so much blood, it would end her to even try. Emmett, this is the only way she'll live."

"This is not a life for a girl like her! Carlisle, you have to try!" Rosalie was furious, her blonde locks bouncing as she waved with her arms. "She deserves better than this."

Carlisle lowered his head. "I'm sorry Rosalie."

A door opened up, Alice's small frame entered the room with quick and light steps. She stopped at the tention in the room, looking over at Alex's fragile frame which was paler than ever. Something changed in her expression, filling up with sorrow. "I tried to follow after him but he's gone. His tracks have faded. I don't think he wanted us to find him."

"Thank you Alice," Esme said with a sad smile, before looking back to Alex.

"What's happening with her?"

"There's nothing we can do, besides waiting. That's all."

The sound of concrete cracking was heard. Emmett's fist had punched the wall, leaving a dent in it. He lifted his head up to look at his family. "If she dies-"

"She's not going to die Emmett, she's strong."

"If she dies, I'm going to kill him." 

o

For the first time in what felt like hours, he stopped. He'd reached the top of a cliff, probably more than a hundred miles from their house in Forks. His mind was blurred, free from impressions, free from the prison of others feelings. Now it was just him and his mind.

The sun was setting over the mountain tops, the orange sky reflected in his porcelain skin. He could still smell the blood that had dried around his mouth, just as clearly as the emotions that lingered in his chest. The fear, the disgust, the heartbreak. His fists clenched.

He'd broken Alex's heart.

Ever since the start, he'd been careless. He'd thought he could handle it, because he loved her so much. But it wasn't enough. He was weak, he was careless. He was a monster.

He would never be able to live without Alex again, not after he'd felt what life was really about. But now, she was either dead or just barely clinging to life. If she were to survive, she would hate him forever.

He placed his hands over his face, pulling his hair and frantically pacing around. He'd gotten his hopes up, that he would be able to live a normal life, like Edward and Bella. But he wasn't strong like Edward, he wasn't good enough. How could he let his urges go out over Alex, of all people? The only person in the world he'd promised himself he'd never lay a finger on.

She'd been so proud of him, when she'd approached him outside the house. She'd radiated with happiness, pride and then... confusion. Pain, hurt... dissapointment.