CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX
Lunch came around quickly, probably because Emmett was working like some kind of real life comic relief for Alex - he was funny and witty, making her enjoy history even though it was one of the classes she found hard. When they were on their way to leave the classroom, Emmett grabbed her pale arm. She turned around with a raised eyebrow, Tom following her lead.

"Time for lunch my friends, I'm pretty sure a certain redhead promised me some company for lunch, right?" the big boy spoke with his signature smirk on his plump lips.

"I didn't promise you anything you idiot, but we'll be there." Alex spoke while chuckling. They walked together to the cafeteria, and stood in the queue to get their plates. Alex was a very observant girl about her surroundings, and she quickly noticed the lack of food on Emmett's plate; only a lonely apple stood in contrast to the white porcelain, accompanied by a glass of water. Alex and Tom exchanged looks quickly, before continuing after the boy. Maybe he was on some kind of diet, the girl thought.

She, herself, picked up a spoonful of pasta with some tomato sauce, veggies and a glass of water. Tom did the same, minus the veggies since he was anti anything classified as healthy, following her towards the Cullen table. Alex was greeted quickly by Alice who gave her a hug, which she found a bit weird since they hardly knew each other, but she let it slide. Rose went and grabbed two chairs for the both of them, letting Alex sit down next to her. Everybody greeted them, including Jasper surprisingly, and after the introduction of Tom was out of the way they begun eating. Well, at least Tom and Alex.

Tom was quickly warming up to the family, especially Emmett. Alex on the other hand, was distant. She had woken up several times during the night, even though she'd taken her pills. She felt tired, her eyelids were heavy and she really didn't have any appetite at all. Tom noticed, shooting her worried glances occasionally. She just waved it off and tried to act normal, as she didn't want to bring down the mood of the group.

What she didn't know was that the boy across from her felt every single emotion going through her. He felt how tired she was, exhausted even. The feeling of sadness still radiated from her, just that now she wasn't hiding it from her face as well as previously. She looked up from her plate and met his gaze briefly, before averting her eyes to the conversation, a smile finding its way up to her pink lips. Although, no change in emotion was sensed.

He looked away from the redhead and listened in on the conversation instead. He liked to hear her talk, her voice was oddly beautiful for a human. He felt kind of bad for acting like a douchebag the day before. He thought about it, and concluded that he should try to talk to her when they left lunch. He didn't want his family to hear, and not Tom either for that part.

Not too long after that it was time to leave. Before she stood up, Alex took a good look at the family's plates. Everything was standing the exact way as when they took it, it hadn't even been touched. The group saw her look, Emmett spoke up quickly.

"We're on a 'diet', our mother is making sure that we are 100 % healthy," the big boy said, looking at the redhead with an amused smirk. "She reads a lot of conspiracy theories, thinks the goverment is trying to poison us." She just shrugged and went to leave her tray. She went over to the sink to empty out her glass of water, and just as she was about to pour that motherfucker down the drain, a cold hand grabbed her arm, making her jump. She looked up at the tall figure, quickly identifying Jasper.

"My apologies for startling you, but could we talk for a second?" he said, his eyebrows furrowed. The girl shrugged and followed the boy out into the hallway. He walked for a while in front of her, before stopping by some lockers. She followed suit, crossing her arms over her chest and looked up at him. One of her eyebrows were raised, and he didn't know if it was intentional of not.

"I just wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday, I was rude and I'm sorry." He tried to remove some of her feelings, making her feel more energized and happy to even out her mood. He didn't want her to feel so down, he had this odd feeling as if he was responsible for her in a way. It was weird, since he usually just kept his distance from any human. "I had a bad day, we all have them right? I'm sorry Alexandra."

"Alex," she mumbled at the mention of her full name. "And it's fine, you don't have to worry about it. I was sure I'd said something weird without realizing it and you were mad because of it," She said, her eyes sparkling slightly. He liked her witty side, even though he hadn't seen much of it yet. He chuckled lightly, a smile evident on his face. "Besides, I hear that holding a grudge against someone is like letting them live inside your head without having them pay the rent."

"You're strange," he said, still smiling.

"Just like your eyes, do you wear contacts or something? I'm pretty sure your eyes were black yesterday." Alex spoke, quickly thinking that she'd said something wrong from the way he tensed up. She half-thought that he'd walk away, but he quickly restrained himself.

"Yeah, I wore contacts yesterday, my head hurts sometimes when I don't have contacts or glasses." His response was collected and calm, and a small smile was evident on his lips. Alex shrugged.

"I've got to go now, but I guess I'll see you at your place later?" Alex said, matching his smile. He just nodded curtly before turning around and walking down the hallway, away from the redhead. 

Alex turned around while rolling her eyes and was just about to start walking when she spotted Rebecca and Tom standing, looking at her with broad smiles and wide eyes. Yes, they looked extremely creepy. Alex stopped, looked at them with raised eyebrows and a confused face.

"I ship it," Rebecca whispered dramatically, looking excited. Alex's eyes widened at the statement, confusion filling her.

"What the hell are you talking about Becca?"

"Nothing, come on let's go, English starts in four minutes." The brunette looked at Alex dramatically, still a wide smile on her lips.

"Okay then..." she said, following the bubbly girl who was almost running down the hallway next to Tom.

Weird.