CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Alex stood up from her seat in the cafeteria, holding eye contact with the boy. He, too, stood up slowly and gracefully, following her with his eyes as she moved towards the exit. He was walking after her, a few steps behind all the time, until she stopped in a classroom that wasn't in use anymore. It was an old chemistry room, it smelled of substances and smoke, even though it hadn't been used in 8 months.

Jasper couldn't get anything out, he just stood and watched Alex, observed every move she made. That was, until he finally managed to speak. "I just wanted to explain myself."

"Go ahead, I'm all ears. I'd love to hear what you have to say," Alex said, her voice hoarse and her eyes filled with disbelief. Jasper thought quickly of how he was going to start the conversation, before giving up. He was just going to throw out everything he had.

"I left because I got scared that I might hurt you." Alex let out a dry laugh, before looking at him. Her mouth was smiling but her eyes were filled with everything but joy.

"How did that go, if I might ask?"

"I don't mean mentally, I meant physically. I'm not good for you Alex," he said.

"Yeah, I think I caught onto that," she huffed. "You know, I thought you and I were getting close. You were starting to become the thing I looked forward to, and then you just leave. I think a friend would've said something and not just up and left like that."

"I didn't think it through, okay? I didn't think that I mattered that much to you when I left," he said, trying to keep his cool.

"Oh, and you're the empath here? Jasper, at this point you should just say it like it is and get it out of the way. I'll go and get my clown makeup and get ready, because obviously I misread the entire situation - you don't care, and I shouldn't either."

"You think I don't care about you? See that's the whole problem Alex, that I care too much about you, I got scared of the fact that I might hurt you. That's why I left," Jasper spoke louder now, losing his cover of being calm and collected.

"See, that's the thing that I don't understand Jasper, what is it that's so damn dangerous about you that you have to leave to distance yourself? Because to me it just sounds like a bunch of bullshit," she said, arms crossed over her chest and her eyes slightly squinted at him.

"I'm a vampire."

It came like word vomit, he couldn't stop it. He didn't even think it through before he threw his family secret out at the girl who just stood there, staring at him as if he was a mad man.

"Excuse me, what did you say?" she asked, followed by a dry and humorless laugh. Jasper sighed.

"I'm a vampire, my entire family are vampires."

"Okay, well I thought it was a low blow for you to leave, but this is even lower. Do you take me for an idiot Jasper?" Alex was furious, he didn't have to read her to know that.

"I'm not lying to you Alex - do you remember when I told you that I'm an empath? I developed that ability after being turned. I can't only feel other's emotions, I can manipulate them, make you feel what I want you to feel. That's why you feel calm around me, because I'm making you feel calm," Jasper said, his words quick and clear. Alex just stared at him, fear and disbelief in her eyes.

"You've noticed that out eyes change color, correct?" Jasper said, making her nod slightly. "When I'm thirsty, my eyes get darker. Now I'm fine. That's why I've been acting so strange around you, I haven't lived without human blood for as long as the others in my family, I... crave it more than they do."

"Without... hu-"

"Carlisle has a very strict thinking, he considers us the vegetarians of our own kind. We don't feed of off humans as most of our kind are. We feed of off animals."

Alex looked at him for a second before sliding down and sitting on the floor, leaned against a cabinet. Jasper walked over to her, sitting in front on her.

"That's... literally the opposite of being a vegetarian," she spoke through a light breath, almost sighing out her words. Jasper smiled, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Do you understand now Alex?" he spoke calmly, trying to calm her down as well. Alex merely nodded, while keeping her gaze anywhere but on him. He could feel the fear she felt. "Hey," he said, while taking a hold of her chin and adjusting it do that she was looking at him. "I'm not going to leave you again, unless that's what you want me to do. I promise."

Alex nodded. "I don't think I want you to leave. I need you if I'm going to make it through this term." Jasper felt some kind of relief when hearing that, he never wanted to be without her again.

"And I need you too," he said, looking her in the eye. Alex's eyebrows furrowed, she looked up at the boy with a confused look all over her face.

"Why?"

"You make me feel human."

o

Alex was still irritated in a way, but she decided to give him a chance. She was also confused and scared, she had no idea if he was telling the truth or if he was just pranking her, but in some freaky way it kind of made sense.

All the Cullens had the same traits even though they are in no way related, the golden eyes and the pale, cold skin. She remembered all the times that Jasper had stormed off or acted strange, and faintly remembered that his eyes had been near to black at the time.

They were walking down the now empty hallways of Forks high school. Alex had decided to go home, she knew that with her newfound information she wouldn't be able to focus in any way.

"Do you want me to come tonight?" Jasper said as they were getting closer to the door. Alex merely nodded. Jasper then stopped, making her do the same. "I'm sorry Alex, I know sorry isn't going to fix things but I want you to know that I was thinking about your safety. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened to you."

"I get it Jasper," she said, looking around. Jasper could feel her confusion, also the fear. "I'm sorry I got so mad, really- it was uncalled for, I'm just tired, I can't really control my temper."

"You're scared of me," he said as he sighed, looking down at his hands. "You should be."

"Well, you did just tell me that your entire family are vampires. I'd say this reaction isn't entirely out of hand. Either you are, in fact, a vampire, or you're clinically insane and I don't know what's scarier. But I'll manage, I just need to think things through." Jasper nodded with a small smile on his face, looking back up at her. Alex smiled back at him, before taking one step closer and hugging him. He was surprised but he didn't hesitate to hug back, careful to not hurt her in any way.

"Remember, you're not entirely forgiven yet so you better not fuck up again Hale," she whispered in his ear. He heard the chuckle escaping her lips, but he knew that under the humor she was dead serious. Jasper tilted his head slightly up so that he could look at her, and then nodded.

When she finally distanced herself, she just waved at him before heading towards the door. "Be safe Alex," Jasper said as he watched her leave.

"I'd say 'you too', but I suppose that you don't really need it."

"Touché."

Jasper then watched her leave, not turning around and walking away until he couldn't see her anymore.