CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
"So what's happened around here in my absence?" Emmett asked Alex as they sat down around the table at lunch. With them were Isaac, Cyrus and Becca and Tom. Emmett looked expectantly at the people around the table as they pondered.

"Honestly, not much," Becca spoke before sighing. She'd broken up with Mandy just a few weeks ago and Alex knew she was thinking about it, but she kept telling her it was the right decision. Cyrus pondered for a moment before speaking.

"Well, that guy, what's his name, Devon? He got a job as an engineer, they came and talked to him at the school and then he never came back," he said, making the other's nod. It'd been quite the news when he got picked up, the rumor says he moved to Europe to pursue his career.

"I hated that guy," Alex mumbled, getting the attention of the others around the table.

"What? Why? He seemed like a cool guy," Cyrus asked, making Alex think back to her first year on Forks high school.

"A couple of weeks after we started at this school he came up to me in the hallway. I'd met him at a couple of Tom's parties by then but not more. Anyways, he came over to me and whispered in my ear that I should meet him in the bathroom in 10 minutes. As clueless as I was, I asked him why, to which he responded 'We should hook up, the others don't need to know.'"

Emmett looked at the girl with slightly wide eyes just like Cyrus and Tom. Becca just furrowed her eyes while shaking her head.

"What the hell? What a douchebag," Becca said, sighing.

"Yeah, I know. I just told him to suck a dick or die trying, then he left and I didn't talk to him much again."

Becca and Cyrus widened their eyes. "Savage!" Cyrus exclaimed a little bit too loud, making everyone around the table laugh. Alex quieted down though when she, for a split second, met Jasper's gaze from across the room. Emmett noticed but didn't say anything, he didn't want that conversation to happen in front of her friends.

"But how come you never told me about this Alex? Honestly, I would've never continued to hang with Devon if I knew he treated you that way," Tom spoke as he'd stopped laughing, making Alex smile as she felt how much he cared for her.

"I didn't want you to stop hanging with him. I know you two were close back then," Alex pointed out, making Tom smile though she could see the darkening in his mood. Back in the days, Tom and Devon, together with Richard were very close and almost always hung out. After Richard died though, the other two drifted apart and couldn't even look at each other. Though, the events that tore them apart got Tom and Alex closer, which was something she'd always be grateful for.

Just a few minutes later the six of them left the table to head to class. Alex now had biology with Rebecca and Isaac, but Emmett walked with her to class as he had to talk to her. Alex looked back at Isaac and Becca and saw them walking out of hearing, making her turn to Emmett and look at him in a way that told him to start.

"How long is this going to go on?" he said, making Alex groan in annoyance.

"There is nothing going on. This is what it looks like now."

"That's a lie and we all know it Alex," Emmett said, making said girl shake her head with raised eyebrows.

"You're wrong. I can't trust him. He promised that he'd never leave unless I wanted him to after last time, and guess what Emmett? He fucking left," Alex stated, making a clear point that Emmett couldn't deny.

"Come on Alex. He thought he'd put you in danger if he stayed, he did it for your safety. Now, it was a stupid idiotic choice but it was because he thought of you."

"Yeah, well, what kind of relationship is that? If he's going to leave every time something gets difficult, I might as well skip this whole relationship-thing," Alex said, even though every word hurt her. She knew that's not what anyone wanted, but she couldn't trust him. Alex was independent, she didn't need Jasper to stay alive. She knew that she needed him in other aspects, but one part of her found it hard to forgive him now, because she was tired of being hurt.

"Jasper changed you know? I think the depression he ended up in when he left made him realize what was actually going on, because you two aren't just crushing on each other. You're mates," Emmett said, making Alex raise a brow at him, before shaking her head.

"Impossible. If that was it-"

"C'mon Alex, you know it's true. Just hear me out, okay? I'm tired of this, because no matter how hard you try to convince me otherwise, I know you're heartbroken because you're in love with him and he's the same," Emmett said, making the girl more frustrated by the second. She finally reached her level and snapped. She turned towards him and stopped walking, he doing the same while looking at her with raised eyebrows at her reaction.

"Do you even know how bad I've been feeling lately Emmett? I've literally not done anything if I didn't have to, because I've been so down. I'm back on anti-depressants and for some time I saw a therapist. All because of him! Do you think I want to put myself in that position again, where he can just rip my heart out because he's scared? I'm not doing it."

"I'm just saying-" Emmett began, but Alex couldn't hear it again. 

"I just want someone to look at me and think of how this affected me, alright? I'm hurt, and I'm scared. I don't want to just throw myself back in a position where I'm exposed to that again, cause I really don't know how much more I can take right now - it's been two days, at least let me think."

Frustrated tears fell down her cheeks, and Emmett sighed, wrapping his arms around her carefully. "Hey," he said softy, feeling the girl stirr under his touch. 

"I'm fine," the girl said, straightening out before walking off down the hallway, while Emmett looked after her with a dull expression on his face.

He looked behind him and saw Isaac standing with Becca and looking at him with confusion all over their faces, but that's not what caught his eye. Just a few feet behind them was Jasper, who looked at the scene with clenched fists and furrowed brows, just before he followed the red-haired female down the hallway with long strides. He wasn't giving the girl up without a fight, maybe not even then.