CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE
"What's been up with you lately?" Alex spoke without looking up at Jasper. They were on the couch in Jasper's room, Alex was lying on his shoulder and Jasper's arm was wrapped around her and stroking her arm lightly. Jasper heaved a small sigh, feeling the girl move her fingers along the scars on his neck as the sun was peering in through the windows, making them visible.

Alex had noticed that Jasper had started to act stranger and stranger; in the beginning she'd thought it was just because of his absence the past fall and winter, but really it was something else and she couldn't seem to grasp what it was. He just seemed distant and careful all the time, it made her uncomfortable in a way, since she really just wanted things to go back to the way they were.

"It's nothing," Jasper mumbled into her hair, making her shake her head ever so slightly.

"It's not nothing, just tell me what's wrong and we'll be fine," Alex said, still noticing how hesitant he was being. "Come on, I can take it."

Jasper looked down at her as she was angling her head up to meet his gaze. He then looking up to the ceiling again, closing his eyes as he began speaking. "When Edward was in Italy with Alice and Bella they met with the Volturi, as you know. Somehow through this mess when Alice showed them visions of the future and how Bella was going to be turned, they found out about you."

Alex felt a shiver go down her spine at the sentence he spoke, she flickered with her gaze for a second before settling to look at the fabric of his shirt, a blue dress-shirt with small subtle detailing.

"I didn't want to tell you about this since I know you're not ready for the changes about to come, but I guess I have no choice now. They're very strict with their rules, they don't want any humans knowing about us and that's just the way it is," Jasper said, his voice quicker than usually which stressed Alex to some extent. "I'm so sorry, I never wanted to drag you into this but-"

"So what you're trying to say to me is that I have to be turned, or I'll die?" Alex asked, but it came out more as a statement as her head felt heavy against Jasper's chest. She finally lifted it up though, feeling Jasper move so he was sitting regularly on the couch, Alex next to him with a tired expression on her face.

Alex didn't really register anything at first, feeling kind of empty in a sense. This was not what she'd planned, not at all. She knew it would most likely come eventually, but for her to get the news at 18 about the end of her first life and the start of her immortality, was not how she'd imagined things.

"I didn't want it to come to this, I thought I could keep you from their knowledge but I couldn't," jasper said, running a hands through his blond wavy hair. Alex put a hand on his knee as if to calm him down, even though she was the one with her heart in her throat and a veil of fear over her.

"Jasper, it's fine. Really, this is what you've been trying to protect me from for all this time, and I'm the one who told you I could take anything if something were to happen. I guess I have to prove that now."

Jasper would be lying if he said the words she spoke didn't warm his cold body to some extent, the thought of her wanting him forever intriguing him. He almost smiled, but it couldn't actually reach his lips in any sense. "We'll make this work, I swear I'll do anything to make it work Alex. We'll make sure nothing has to change, you'll be able to meet your family, your friends. I never wanted this to happen to you Alex-"

"Jasper, stop rambling," Alex said before pressing her lips to his, moving so she was sitting in his lap, finally pushing off and leaning her forehead towards his. "As long as it's you and me Jasper, nothing is going to go wrong, because I love you Jasper. And if I have to have eternity, if that's my only choice, then there's no other person I'd want to have it with besides you."