CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Alex felt worse than ever. Sitting at her bench in math class, she leaned against Tom's shoulder as the teacher went over the equation of a curve. Her head was pounding and her eyes were itching slightly from her rubbing them. Tom's arm was over her shoulder as comfort, as she rested since she'd already worked with curves in math.

The entire day had been like that, and she could just be happy that it was Friday. When the class was finally over she sat up straight before picking up her things and leaving the classroom with Tom and Becca, who was talking to Mandy.

They were headed towards the study hall since they had a free hour and Tom had some things to catch up with. Alex just followed because she had nothing else to do. Although, that changed when she stepped outside the classroom and saw Jasper standing leaned against a wall, looking at her. When he saw her he straightened up and walked over to her.

"Hey," he said, looking down at her since he was almost a foot taller than her.

"Hey."

"Can I talk to you for a minute? You're free for a while now right?" Jasper asked, making her nod. She looked over at Tom and Becca who waited for her, and told them that she'd join them when she was done. They nodded, before leaving.

Jasper put his hand at the small of her back, leading her towards an empty hallway. Alex wondered silently what he wanted to talk about, but decided to let him speak up first. When they stood there, they were both silent for a while, just looking at each other, until Jasper spoke up.

"So..." he begun, "I wanted to firstly say that I'm sorry for being so rude to you and not giving you the answers you want. I'm sorry, and I promise that you'll get them in time, but right now I can't say anything else. Are you okay with that?"

Alex thought for a second before answering. "Not really, but I'll go with it."

"Thank you," he said after a second, looking her in the eyes. She smiled at him quickly before having her regular expression on again. "I just wanted to ask you how you're feeling."

Alex sighed. "Did Carlisle tell you?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, confusion filling him. "What do you mean?"

"Oh, I'm sorry - nothing, go on."

Jasper was about to say something but he refrained, sighing instead. "I was just wondering what's going on with you. I'm pretty good at reading people, and I've just been noticing that your mood has been pretty low lately."

"Ah," Alex said, not sure what she should tell him. She shrugged her shoulders, looking down at her hands for a moment. "I guess I'm just really tired. I've had some trouble sleeping for a while now, and I'm not allowed to take my medication for it anymore," she said, looking Jasper in the eyes, feeling alright talking with him about it. There was something about the ember color of his gaze that left her comforted. 

"I thought so," he almost muttered. "Well, I just wanted to make sure you know that... I'm here to help if you need me. I know you're not particularily fond of my mood swings, but I can at least try to act normal," he smiled, and she chuckled briefly. 

"Well, that's good o hear. Are we good now?" Alex continued expectantly, offering him a slight smile. He returned the gesture slightly, even though it didn't come off as nice as hers; he was extremely tense.

"Yes, we're good." Alex opened her arms to hug him, and he reluctantly walked closer to her and wrapped his arms around her small frame. For some reasons his killing instincts kind of disappeared, and he sank deeper into the hug. He really did care for her, and he enjoyed the way her hands trailed over his back carefully when she held him.

When they finally separated, they headed to the study hall. Jasper too had a free period, so Alex invited him to study with her, Becca and Tom. When they entered the study hall Alex spotted her friends instantly. She made eye contact with Rebecca for a second before the brown-haired girl looked over at Jasper. She then kicked Tom under the table and motioned towards Alex and Jasper, making Tom look up as well, they both started to giggle like two middle school girls. They then looked down in their books, ignoring them. Jasper looked at Alex with a raised eyebrow for a second, but the girl just shrugged before walking over to them with the tall boy behind her. She sat down next to Tom, Jasper following suit and sitting down across from her. Tom and Rebecca quickly looked up from their studies.

"Oh, hey guys, didn't see you coming," Rebecca said, smirking at them. Alex just rolled her eyes.

"This is Jasper, Jasper this is Rebecca and Tom. Be nice you two," Alex said, before leaning back in her seat.

"Welcome to our almost completed sect of misfit teenagers Jasper," Tom said, smiling at him. Alex cringed at the introduction.

"I'm honored," Jasper said, looking at Alex with a quirked eyebrow the entire time. Tom looked between the two of them, before settling his gaze on the blonde boy at the opposite side of the table while leaning back in his seat slightly.

"So, Jasper... How long have you and Alex dated, if you don't mind me asking? I've asked Alex but she denies all my attempts, but I can see it in your eyes," Tom said, making Alex's eyes widen while Jasper just sat there with an amused expression.

"I can't say that I'm aware of any kind of... dating." Jasper said, his gaze changing between Tom and Alex.

"Tom, shut up and don't make things awkward unless you want to end up like Mason Verger," Alex said, looking at him seriously. Tom raised his hands admitting defeat before looking down in his book again. Rebecca contained her laughter with difficulty, whispering the word 'canon' before looking down in her math book again.

Alex quickly noted that Jasper was more often observing and listening than talking. He seemed to analyze, he laughed at a joke now and then but otherwise he was mostly quiet. That's why Alex was a bit surprised when he spoke up after Becca and Tom returned to work.

"So, I heard from Emmett that you never got to work on your project yesterday."

"Yeah, I got a little bit distracted when I saw you," Alex said, instantly regretting it when she heard Becca and Tom saying 'aw' in chorus.

"Were you shirtless or something?" Becca said while nudging Jasper in the side, making him chuckle.

"Oh my gosh you guys, back off will ya?" Alex said, both frustrated but amused. She knew that her friends only meant well. They shared a look over the table before snickering and looking down in their books again.

"Do you want help with the rest of the project?" Jasper continued, Alex could see out of the corner of her eye that Becca was smiling at the table.

"Yeah, sure. DO you have time today?" Jasper nodded as an answer, smiling slightly at her. "You okay with being at my place? My brother comes home from college this weekend so I want to be there when he arrives," Alex said, smiling at the thought.

"Yeah, sure. My house is empty anyways, no point in being there right now." Jasper answered.

"No, no, no guys! You're doing it wrong. You should be at Jasper's house because it's empty, more privacy that way if you know what I mean." Tom was smirking widely, Rebecca laughed out loud, her face red from containing her laughter. Even Jasper chuckled slightly.

"You're dead to me," Alex whispered in Tom's direction, making him snort. Yes, she was tired, but she really did feel happy right then and there.