CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
"This timing is so fucking horrible," Alex mumbled as they walked through the hallways of the hospital, looking for a room that she hadn't been to before.

"Why's that Dexter?" Emmett said, looking at her with one eyebrow arched.

"Because Jasper's been really worried lately and he thinks that I'm going to get hurt if he stays around. Now, technically this wasn't him, but you think that would stop him from freaking out? Don't think so," she spoke, her wrist hurting badly. "So, that's why I want you to tell him I fell if he asks."

"Alex, that's not going to work," he said just as they reached the room they were looking for. Alex gave him a pleading look, and finally he sighed. "I'll try, but I won't promise anything."

"Thanks bro, good talk," she said while punching him lightly on the arm with her good hand. He chuckled, before she went inside the room. As she'd expected, Dr. Cullen was standing by the sink, since Emmett asked specifically for his father.

"Hello Mr. Cullen," she said as she walked inside the room, seeing him smile and motion for her to sit down on the examining table.

"Well, Alexandra, you sure seem to spend a lot of time here," Mr. Cullen said, making her grin awkwardly as she got seated.

"I just love the coffee in the vending machines here, it's hard to stay away," she said, making the blond man smile slightly.

"So, what happened to your wrist?" he said as he took a hold of her hand and bent at her wrist slightly.

"Us in between, I tried to high five a vampire," Alex said, making him chuckle heartily.

"A onetime mistake I suppose. Well, I can delight you with the knowledge that your wrist isn't broken, it's just sprained. But, you'll need a bandage to stop the swelling."

Carlisle walked over to a cabinet to grab a gauze, in that moment the door to the room burst open and Jasper stepped inside. His eyes locked with Alex's, and he quickly strode over to her and crouched in front of her.

"What happened? Alice told me you were at the hospital, what's going on?" Jasper said with a soft voice, making Alex's stomach flutter slightly. It was almost as if the physical pain in her hand was lighter the second he stepped close to her.

"I stepped on my shoelace and fell, bent my wrist the wrong way," Alex said, pointing to the wrist that was turning a blackish purple quickly.

"Okay. Now, tell me the truth," Jasper said, making Alex furrow her eyebrows.

"How'd you know?"

"Partly, you make double ties on your shoes, it wouldn't go up. Also, your heart is beating quicker, signs of lies. Now, tell me," Jasper said, making Alex smile slightly as she processed the fact that he notices the small things about her, like the way she ties her shoes.

"Okay, chill out and promise that you won't get mad," Alex said, Jasper hesitantly nodded. "I was going to high five Emmett, and he was a little bit too into it, and bent by wrist backwards."

Jasper looked at her for a second, before turning around and heading outside the room. "Emmett!" she could hear him call, making her groan in annoyance. That was exactly what she was trying to avoid.

"Hold out your arm please," she heard Carlisle say, and she'd almost forgotten he was in the room. Alex did as she was told, watching as he wrapped the gauze around her sickly colored wrist.

"Carlisle, I've been wondering..." she begun, making him look up at her and nod as if telling her to continue. "How can you work in a place like this, isn't it hard for you?"