Chapter 11: Ow my freaking knee, yo.

Carter left.

As in kissed and ditched.

As in slobbered and...clobbered.... away... Okay, you know what? He just left. He kissed me, then left, end of story. Bottom line. Period. End of statement. Moving on.

He could have done anything else, really. But he didn't. He left me, sitting on my floor amongst the curnals of popcorn with and the movie playing in the background, staring down at my hands like 'what the fuck just happened'.

Now, I am not a teenage girl, so I'm not going to say that I felt hurt or confused or even cried. I'm not going to say it. I'M NOT GOING TO SAY IT.

But I will say this. That kiss was about as surprising as a giraffe giving birth to an elephant. First of all, ouch. Second of all, HOLY FRIGGING CRAP CARTER KISSED ME.

ME.

CARTER REED, BADBOYEXTRODINARE, WAS KISSING ELIJAH JEREMY DOLL.

AKA that one invisible guy who has somehow managed moved through high school undetected by the opposite sex.

I should be given a award.

His lips were against mine and they were so, so soft. I could feel my eyes fluttering closed and my lips anticipating kissing him back. My heart was going a million miles and hour and I'm positive that butterfly’s were having a drag race in my stomach.

But then he pulled away. He looked at me with an expression that had been stuck in my head since he left last night, then he just got up and walked away. Leaving my house and going god knows where.

It's Monday night now and I hadn't seen or heard a peep from Carter. I just kept replaying the kiss over and over and over in my head. I had been frozen, pure surprise taking over. I didn't know what to do. If I kissed him back would it have been a good thing? But what if it was just an in-the-moment type of thing and he freaked out and that's why he left? That option made more sense. Cater already likes Anna Grace. She's a girl and she's amazing. And I'm a guy and I'm invisible.

Ugh, whatever. I shook my head and got up from my bed. I needed to stop sulking. It was a Monday and there was no school, I had the whole house to myself and no homework. I should have been ecstatic! I decide I was going to stop caring about Carter, I was already confused enough with my feelings for him possible being stronger than my feelings for Anna. And then the fact that Carter is guy.

And I'm not gay.

Nope.

Opening my bedroom door I stepped out into the hall which only brought back memories of Carter yelling at me over Anna, which only made me sting with hurt and jealousy and the constant feelings of rejection I kept getting from him. I started down the stairs and shook my head one more time, trying to get all the awful thoughts out of my head. I hate being a Debbie downer.

Stepping down from the third to the last step I caught my foot in my pants leg and started falling face first onto hardwood floor of the kitchen. I put out my hands to stop from face planting but lost control of my lower body somewhere along the way and my knee came crashing down hard onto the sharp edge of the wall.

“OW!” I grabbed my right knee and cradled it breathing hard and trying not to let the tears that stung my eyes fall. I took large deep breaths and calmed my heart rate down and tried to think of anything else but the searing pain in my right knee cap.