fifteen

"Lola, get up, we're late!"

Stephanie taps me vigorously on my shoulder, and I'm about to ask for a few more minutes of sleep before what she said clicks in my mind.

"We overslept." I say in shock as I pull the duvet off my bed.

After listening in on the argument between Lane, his main hoe and his mum, Steph and I decided to stay in my room and watch Empire until it was about five thirty, then we finally fell asleep in my bed.

She's hastily pulling a pair of jeans up her legs, and I hop into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth.

Even though I hate the idea of not taking a shower or bath before leaving the house, I don't really have a choice considering school starts in fifteen minutes.

"I think we have a problem." Steph tells me and waves at me to come downstairs and see whatever it is that she's talking about.

When I get downstairs fully dressed, I nearly die from cardiac arrest.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask Lane when I see him lying down on the couch.

He sits up and opens his mouth to say something before someone cuts him off.

"Lolade, mind your language." My mum gives me a hard look as she comes down the stairs in her light pink bathrobe.

"Sorry. I meant to ask, what are you doing here Lane?" I say, giving Lane a fake voice and smile.

"He's staying here." My mum says blankly.

Stephanie looks at me and points to the door saying she's off to school because we're late and I nod at her, even though I'm not sure she knows the way there.

Lane goes upstairs, so my mum and I are left alone in the kitchen.

"You're letting him stay here! After everything he did to me!" I say, trying not to yell at my mum.

"He didn't do anything to you." She says, pouring some milk into a bowl for cereal.

"I'm late for school." I tell her.

I'm too calm, anyone normal person will be on a total rampage but here I am just letting it go.

I run to catch up to Steph when I get out of the house, and then we sprint to school together.