twenty four

After I am fully dressed I sit on the couch by the window and make myself a cup of hot chocolate, it's been raining since last night.

I stare around the empty road, before I notice Lane's car parked a few blocks down, opposite from my own house. He just remains asleep in the driver's seat. He should be awake by now considering we should be in school in exactly half an hour.

I always find myself doing things a normal person with a functioning brain shouldn't do.

As the rain hits me harder with every drop, I knock on Lane's window while holding him a flask of coffee and a blanket. He quickly opens his eyes and turns to me, before scrambling to unlock the car.

"Hey." I say calmly.

He rubs his eyes and smiles at me, "Hi." He takes the flask when I hand it to me.

"Coffee?" He asks, when I opens the flask and smells it, the rain making pebble like sounds and it hits the windshield.

"Yeah. Here." I hand him the blanket.

"Why are you doing this?" He asks, dropping the flask in the cup holder and turning on the heat.

"I don't know. I'm just so confused. And I - I don't know why." I answer honestly.

"You're still so nice to me, after everything that happened." He says.

"I did slap you though." I say feeling a bit bad. I'm too nice.

"But Lola, this is not bulls.hit, I swear to you, I didn't do it."

"Then who did?" I ask.

"I'm still trying to find out, so are the police. Wesley's been helping out." He tells me.

"Wesley knows?" I say slightly embarrassed. Even though the entire town probably knows.

"Wesley's been my best friend since I was ten, then I moved here. I begged him to move here for the exchange program." He informs me.

Most people will be more upset if they went through what I did.

Some people would be too ashamed to go outside, or want to drive a stake through Lane, Laura's and everyone else who was involved' hearts.

But I feel fine. Embarrassed, but fine.

The reasonable part of me is angry, but the peaceful side has accepted it. Although I want to believe Lane's plead of innocence, if he didn't do it, who did?