fifty three

"Lola!" I hear Derek call from behind me after I pull into Wesley's gate-less driveway. There are small bushes and trees along the roads, and the roads branch into the houses.

I pretend I don't hear my name and close the door of my car, but he says my name again.

I take a very deep silent sigh, before I face him and place a wide smile across my face. I grip my bag tighter and walk towards him so he can stop jogging. "Hey."

"Hey, are you okay?" He asks in reference to our disaster date, I assume. It was worse than a disaster, it was probably the worst thing that could ever happen on a date.

Images of Griffin hanging above me of me flood my mind and I feel short of air. "I'm okay." I reply, looking away from Derek.

"Listen, I know, you may not want to go out with me ever again. I don't blame you, you must be traumatised, I'm traumatised too, but I just want you to give me a chance. Please." His eyes sparkle, and search mine for pity.

He sounds desperate and as pathetic as it sounds, I feel bad for Derek Salleras.

"It's not your fault-" I begin to say.

"One date." He presses his palms together and puts them on his chest, while staring at me.

"I don't know." I tell him honestly, growing slightly uncomfortable.

He doesn't say anything, he just nods, "Think about it." He compromises and I smile at him telling him I will, he walks away and I walk to Wesley's front door.

I knock on the door that's more than two times taller than me, and my thin knuckles hurt when they come in contact with the thick wood.

After finding and pressing the doorbell, I quickly straighten my shirt, using my hands to comb my hair.

I begin to contemplate pressing the door bell again after what feels like a few minutes. I look at the door, and it looks slightly open, when I push it, it swings heavily.

I walk in quietly and close the door behind me.

As I pull out my phone to call Wesley, I begin to walk around the house trying to remember where he usually hangs around.

The large television in the living room is on and playing a black and white soap opera from the nineties.

The few memories I have of Griffin cram themselves into my thoughts and my eyes begin to blur with tears.

I can't help it that I'm crying. I cried when the dolphin lost its tail, and when Andy lost his mum in sixth grade. I cried when I found out Mirjana from ANTM Cycle 21 died, and I knew none of them.

So it's not suprising when I see millions of tears falling onto my blouse.

I go upstairs to the den after telling myself that the house is completely empty. Folders and sheets of paper scattered across the small table.

I wipe my eyes as each tear falls, and my nose becomes completely stuffed.

My eyes widen when I see a picture of me and Alex sitting on the table. Except, I never took that picture.

I pick up the photo and stare at it. I'm in a park with Alex, my hands are tied around his neck and he carries me ok his back.

I'm smiling, I don't usually look like this when I smile, my eyes look more squinty and my face looks longer and slightly older.

Anyone would panic, and I begin to conclude that it's not me in the picture. But it looks exactly like me. I sit down and continue to examine the glossy film, before I hear footsteps coming from the hallway.

"You shouldn't be here." Wesley says with no emotion spread across his face.

---

Can you guys recommend good books I can read on here? 💖 Happy Saturday x