fourty six

I tap lightly on Derek's window when I see him resting his head on the head support of his chair.

He quickly reacts and wakes up, turning to face me, his face lights up when he sees me and he smiles giving a small wave which I return.

I move to open the passenger door but he tells me to stop before jumping out of his seat and coming to open the door for me.

"You look beautiful." He compliments and I thank him, when we both sit in his car.

It's not his usual sky blue 1969 Chevy Camaro Convertible, this time it's a shiny midnight blue BMW with light brown leather interior. The car seems almost unnoticeable in the darkness of the night.

"I got you these." He pulls his seat belt off his chest and twists to reach for the back seat, before handing me a large bouquet of red roses.

"Oh my God, thank you." I smile at him while I place them gently on my lap, holding them like a child.

The entire drive we make nothing but small talk.

He's been away in London studying medicine, and although he hasn't graduated yet, he's taking a small break to visit his family.

He just turned twenty one which I had expected.

I'm telling him about my plans for the future, university, mansion, loads of cars and definitely marriage and children before I notice him driving up the ramp to the restaurant.

There's a long line of expensive cars in front and behind us, making Derek's car look like a rubber ducky. I'd have to work for ten years to afford this rubber ducky though, I tell myself.

When we finally get to the front of the doors, he steps out of the car and comes to open the door for me before handing his keys to a valet.

As we step inside, I feel all the air in my lungs being forced out. The sight is absolutely breathtaking.

Large chandeliers centre each table, and the red carpeting complements the gold and white interior, with flowers and ice sculptures standing in different spots around the room.

My hands are getting very cold, and I'm sure the temperature here is very low to keep the ice sculptures from falling apart.

A tall slender black women in a sequin filled brown dress stands on a small stage that is only two steps above the ground everyone else in on, holding a very vintage microphone, her melodic voice accompanied by the soft jazz coming from the saxophone and piano fill the large space.

We stand in the queue behind an older couple, who are arguing with a waiter about their reservation time. He eventually leads them to a table of their own.

"Are you okay?" Derek asks me, when he notices I'm probably shivering to my near death.

I nod and tell him I'm okay, before he proceeds to implying that I look a bit cold. "Yeah, a bit." I laugh.

He offers me his hand, and when I grab a hold of it, it's much bigger and warmer than mine. It makes me feel less cold, I'm about to thank him before someone starts to speak.

"Hi, sorry for keeping you waiting, do you have a reservation?" A short blonde waitress asks Derek.

"Yeah, eight o'clock." He replies.

"It's almost eight forty." She tells us bluntly, looking at her watch.

"Derek Salleras." He says nonchalantly, causing her eyes to widen before she begins to apologise.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry. I didn't know it was you, my apologies, I'll tell Marcel you're here." She says and begins to walk us to a table.

"It's okay, no need for that." He smiles at her.

--

I'm having trouble making friends at my new school, what do I do? 😩 I'm so antisocial and I don't fit in with anyone there :(