forty one

After school, my mum sends me on multiple errands, the last one being a list of things to buy from Target. The entire drive there my mind battles on which way it's actually pronounced.

Target, or Tarjay. As I pull into the parking lot I decide that it's Target and everyone pronouncing it otherwise is completely wrong. Or I'm wrong?

Today is surprisingly cold for the middle of September. The wind almost blows me out a place when I step out of my car. It's hard not being heavy enough, not to walk against the wind without struggling.

I walk into the store and am greeted by a stand of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables, colour coordinated and all. They look appetising but I would never intentionally or willingly eat vegetables.

I pick up a basket and begin to walk around looking at the list from my phone.

Butter, eggs, spaghetti, corn beef, apples, grapes, bagels, cauliflower, frosted flakes and sunflower oil.

I reach to grab butter from the refrigerated section of the aisle, but I end up causing multiple tubes of I can't believe it's not Butter! to fall onto the floor.

Quite embarrassed, I quickly bend down and start to pick them up, hoping no one seems me. 

"Can you believe it's not butter?" I hear Wesley's voice and look up to see him before he kneels beside me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"Oh nothing really, I just came to deliver my unborn children in the butter aisle, you didn't even know I was pregnant?" He gasps very sarcastically.

"Ha-ha, very funny." I sigh and place the last tube back up. "You're totally stalking me." I laugh.

"If anything you're stalking me. Sorry Lol, but I'm taken." He grins.

I never thought I'd get the nickname Lol considering Lola is short enough, but I like how it sounds when he says it, which is bad. Very bad.

I want to ask why he's barely speaking to Steph if he's apparently 'taken', or maybe he's cheating on her, I want to believe otherwise.

"No basket?" I ask him when I see his bare hands holding only a packet of gum.

"I just came to get gum and some water." He tells me and offers to take my basket.

"I can help you shop if you want, I'm not in a hurry." He says and I agree, though I know I shouldn't.