fourty eight

"Would you like to dance?" Derek asks me, tapping the napkin lightly across his mouth which causes me to laugh.  

I look over to the wall that separates everyone eating from where I'm assuming is a ballroom. Red curtains cover the glass wall and I could only see a small portion of the inside, it's completely dark.

I like my food but I don't want to shove it all down my mouth at once and look like a total slob in front of my date.

I wait till I finish chewing the piece of steak in my mouth before I answer him, "Um, yeah sure." I smile at him and bring my glass of water to my lips.

"I'm not sure if they're opening the ballroom tonight, but I could get them to." He says, and I agree even though I really don't want to dance and make a fool of myself when I step on him.

"That'll be great." I lie.

Derek speaks to a random waitress, and she nods before going to talk to someone else. She then returns to our table, "Tell us when you're ready."

I stare at my plate and envision what it looked like when it got here.

A wooden stick goes through the centre of four pieces of well done stake. Cherry tomatoes, onions and random leaves-, 'herbs' seperate each piece and I don't eat any of the vegetables.

On the side I get large cut fries, and coleslaw, although I do feel awkward my plate is larger than Derek's.

That doesn't stop me from eating it though.

Fancy restaurants always surprised me. A waiter gives a lady a plate that has one piece of sushi, a leaf on top of it and I'm assuming it's a special sauce that's drizzled across the plate.

She'll probably pay one hundred dollars for that.

Judging from her bony structure, pearls wrapped around her collarbone and her black dress drooping low, she's probably watching her weight as they say, unlike her tall round companion who sits opposite her.

"Do you want dessert first?" Derek asks, "We could have it after." He suggests, giving me a small smile and a nonchalant shrug.

"We could dance first." I reply.

There's already a queue forming at the large doors of the ballroom, but Derek and I are lead to the front considering he has some sort of connection with the owner of this place.

The doors are finally opened even though the lights haven't come on yet. Everyone still walks in even though the only source of light is the moon.

Heels and soles of male shoes click against the marble floor and I'm glad I decided against heels in case I trip all over Derek's feet.

A middle aged lady with a posh accent complains about the darkness, and her husband tells her to lower her voice.

A tall waitress scrambles to turn the lights on, and when she does my entire body freezes before I let out a loud scream.

Griffin's body hangs from the chandelier in the centre. A pool of blood straight beneath him.