Chapter 1 - The Dog Walker

New story! I'm so hyped for this :)

Chapter 1 – The Dog Walker

Calum

Sunday

"Thanks for your help! Bye!"

I waved goodbye as the family closed the front door to their massive house, pocketing the fifty dollar note and making my way back home. The sun was slowly going back down, casting beautiful orange shadows on the asphalt and bushes that lined the pavements, the summer air giving a tranquil atmosphere as I walked through the extremely posh area of town. Michael texted, asking me to get some bread so I stopped at a convenience store and picked up a loaf as well as a chocolate bar to give me a boost of energy after five hours of dog-sitting. It was totally worth it though, the Watson's dog was adorable.

Suddenly, a loud raucous noise approached, and I turned to see an expensive black convertible with four blatantly drunk guys dancing with the roof down, and a very attractive driver whose sunglasses made him look probably 500% hotter. He had dirty blonde hair, tinted orange by the sun, and the sexiest features you could ask for. Chiselled cheekbones, a subtle beard and a gorgeous bright white smile. He was smiling at his friends, and I only got to see him for a few seconds before they zoomed off again.

Damn, did I just fall in love with a stranger? Again?

I mean, I say again, but the only other time I'd fallen in love was about five years ago, when I was 13. I didn't usually like guys, see, but this one guy was just immensely cute... he was from a charity who came into our school and did a day on animal care, which is what inspired me to study animals at college. I remembered the way he handled the little brown Labrador puppy, the way his hands craftily held the dog up to show everyone, the way he dressed the fake wound with such gentleness and care that I couldn't keep my eyes off him or his lip ring for that matter. I'd tried searching for him, and even went to the charity headquarters and left him letters but he'd left, apparently, so after about a year I gave up. Now, my focus was on studies anyway.

"Mikey, I'm home!"

"Did you get the bread?"

"Yup."

A head appeared from the main room, rather like a meerkat, and scurried over to get the loaf. "Thanks. Dinner's almost ready. Oh, how was dog-sitting?"

I smiled, taking off my worn-out black Chuck Taylors. "Awesome, their dog was super cute and kept licking me, and when I left it jumped up at me. I wanna go back there so bad..."

"No wonder, I mean you do like things licking you, so-"

"Uh shut up would you? You're not any better," I replied sassily, lining up my sneakers along my two other pairs of shoes – some black boots and my gym trainers. "Did the landlady give you an invoice for our bill?"

"Yep, that's all sorted. Don't worry about it."

"Cool, well I'm gonna get changed then, don't want dog hairs everywhere."

I was dying to get a dog of my own but our idiot landlady wouldn't let us. She wouldn't even let us get a small rodent like a hamster, or a bird, saying it would create a mess and make the place stink. I had to be grateful to her however, as she let us have the studio apartment at a dirt cheap price despite the fact that Michael and I were both college students and had jobs (kinda. Michael's job was to wear a hotdog costume for two hours every day to advertise this hotdog joint).

After changing into a blue muscle tank and Adidas drawstring shorts, I headed into the main living area where the table was already set. Our apartment was tiny, consisting of one bedroom, one toilet and one medium sized room with a kitchenette and a washing machine. Outside we had a meagre balcony to hang clothes with two cheap beach chairs for when the weather was super nice. It was small but comfortable, and living with your best mate definitely made things better.