Chapter 6 - Deception

Luke

Monday

As the setting sun casted a warm light in the apartment, I unbuttoned my suit and got rid of my tie, throwing them on the sofa with a deep sigh. Leelou noticed something was up and put her paws on my thighs, asking for a hug, so I picked her up in my arms and swung her round a couple times. The maid had already set out a food bowl for her in her little corner, so I didn't need to worry about her starving or anything.

"I think tonight's a whisky kind of evening, what do you think?"

Without waiting for an answer, I padded over to the liquor cabinet where various types of whiskies were stored. All the wine was put in a separate room as I had too much to store in a single cabinet. Pouring myself a glass of bourbon, I sat down outside and stared mindlessly at the flowing water below.

My thoughts drifted to Calum's words earlier. What did he know? Nothing. Could he help? No. So should I have listened? Nope.

But I couldn't bring myself to forget what he said.

'Don't you know how important family is?'

I downed the glass and set it down on the woven white table.

Who was he, anyway? Ashton's friend, no doubt – they were probably out to get revenge on me for what I did to Ashton. It hadn't even been my fault – it was dad and Marie's. There was a reason I hated Angelina, and her two elder sisters. They took away my own mum, and no matter how much money they gave me, nothing would ever make up for it.

I yawned and brought the glass inside, leaving it in the sink and going upstairs to bed.

~

Tuesday

I woke up to a flurry of wet licks by none other than my darling Leelou. "Hey, cut it out!" I moaned, opening my eyes and watching her dart here and there on my bed. I pulled her over and gave her a tummy rub, before getting out of bed and seeing that it was only six am.

Having taken a shower, I headed downstairs where breakfast awaited me. James had sent a text of my schedule, so I read it whilst eating a bagel.

9:00AM – meeting with contractors

10:00AM – forms for building work due

12:00PM – drop off LL at Druid Hill

13:00PM – lunch with the family

15:00PM – review new project proposals

17:00PM – golf with the Rodriguez family

18:00PM – dinner with the Rodriguez family

20:00PM – pick up LL from Druid Hill

Great. What an absolutely brilliant day. Lunch with my family, and dinner with Arzaylea's? I wished someone would just shoot me; but I was planning on telling dad and Marie about Leelou. Just as I finished up, James rang.

"Hey are you ready to go yet? We've got to be heading off soon if we don't want to be late. The meeting is forty minutes away."

"Yeah, I'm almost done, gimme a sec. Do you have outfits for tonight?"

"All sorted, don't worry."

"Cool. See you in a bit."

I hung up and went up to my wardrobe, picking out a navy Savile Row suit and a white and blue striped tie, choosing a silver Breguet watch and sliding in matching cufflinks. Moving onto the shoes, my eyes landed upon the fourteenth pair of Brogues and I slipped them on, grabbing my two favourite fountain pens and popping them in the breast pocket of my suit. With one final look in the mirror, I left the wardrobe and went down with Leelou excitedly running with me. She probably knew that she would be seeing Calum.