Chapter 31 - Something Extraordinary

Chapter 31

Calum

Thursday

As I watched some air hostesses place our baggage in the lower compartment of Luke's plane, I grasped Luke's hand. "So I really just went abroad without a passport, right?" I confirmed, the humid air of New Caledonia washing over my face.

He squeezed my moist palm and replied, "Don't think of it like that. Besides, if anything happens, you can blame me, okay-"

"Bonjour monsieurs, nous vous avons pas vu venir à travers l'aéroport," a random guy said from behind. I didn't understand a word he was saying but Luke seemed to comprehend him fully well. "Pourrions-nous vérifier vos passeports?"

I felt Luke tense up beside me. "What is he saying?" I whispered.

"He didn't see us in the airport, and now he wants to see our passports," he replied harshly, letting go of my hand. Then, he conversed with the airport staff in fluent French, as if he'd been brought up there or something! Honestly, when would Luke stop amazing me with his endless talents?

After they exchanged a few more sentences, the guy walked off with a smile and a wave, leaving us to get on the plane. "What did you say?" I asked curiously.

He smirked. "Oh, just that it was a misunderstanding. Don't you worry."

I took one final look at the foreign land and pursed my lips. It was time to go, however unwilling I was to depart from this wonderful land of good memories. Ah well, all good things always came to an end. I just hoped that wasn't the case for me and Luke.

~

Friday

Coming home never felt so depressing – as soon as the plane hit the ground I knew that mine and Luke's little getaway had ended and I'd been brought back to real life, where nothing remotely good ever happened.

It was time to remember the trip as a dream, a vision of the night – but time well spent. Going to New Caledonia was by far the most exotic summer I'd had and in a way, it gave me a reason to study hard in my second year of college.

"So can I stay in apartment 212A from now on?" I asked meekly, looking Luke in the eye. He replied with a tight-lipped smile, unbuckling my seatbelt once we'd reached the car park of Luke's mum's apartment complex.

"Of course. I'll stay there as often as I can, but as you said before, I can't exactly leave my apartment. Just know that it'll be our little safe spot, yeah?" I grinned. "I'll drop you off once we get out of the airport, and then you should get some rest, okay? You must be exhausted."

I connected our lips quickly and reminded him, "You have to try Hawaiian pizza next time with me, okay?"

He nuzzled into my neck, smiling as he replied, "Don't worry. We'll have our pizza date one day."

"Text me, okay?" I shouted as I left the car, making my way to the foyer with my new bag full of clothes we'd bought on holiday. I was never gonna be able to wear them again, mostly because they were tacky holiday shirts and tropical themed items, but there were a few items I'd keep for everyday wear. The rest would be stored away as a memory, a constant reminder of a time we once enjoyed together.

The foyer's light immediately lit up when I stepped inside. It was dark already, stressing that it was late and that it was time for me to get to bed if I wanted to be productive the next day.

I took the elevator up and once I reached the door of the apartment, slotted the key in and turned it twice before pushing it open. My suitcases from moving house were at Ashton's place, so I decided to head down first thing tomorrow; not only to pick them up, but to show my face since I'd been off the face of the earth for the past few days.