Chapter 29 - New Caledonia Pt.1

Chapter 29

Calum

Friday

"What do you mean you don't have a passport?!" Luke shrieked as we stepped into the private airport I had no idea even existed. I shrunk as I walked and avoided his eyes. "You could've told me earlier, you – oh well, it shouldn't matter. Just don't make any trouble over there and you'll be fine. C'mon, we gotta hurry though."

It wasn't exactly my fault I didn't have a passport. I didn't have enough money to keep renewing it and after a while Aunt Sarah decided since I wasn't going anywhere, there wasn't any point. I was still young after all, and the USA was big enough for me to see all sorts of amazing things without requiring to step outside the country. From what I knew, it wasn't that uncommon to not possess a passport.

I'd been to Australia once when I was really little, as that was where my parents grew up. My older sister was born there too, before they moved to Baltimore and had me – but we're talking about things that happened way in the past. I might've had a passport back then but now, it just wasn't a priority for me.

"Luke, I don't even have any clothes to change in to, how do you expect me to follow you all the way to New Caledonia? It's not just clothes either – I don't have any money, I can't speak French, I-"

He stopped randomly and turned momentarily to cup my cheeks. "You're with me, you don't need to worry about those things. Just accept the fact that I'm dragging you along and do as I say."

We were now near the runway and I spotted a few small planes in sight – none of those large commercial, multiple deck planes with dozens of windows lined up systematically. Those were the only planes I'd been on and knew of.

Two women dressed in dark red uniforms greeted us with a bow in front of the plane door and Luke walked straight past them without a single greeting so I hastily said hello and shook their hands. When Luke saw, he gave me a weird look which I returned with a gritted teeth smile.

On the plane, I was amazed at how much space there was, despite it looking so small from the outside. There were tan leather seats rolling down the sides with aureate coffee tables next to them, as well as a massive TV with a stack of films and CDs in a glass cabinet underneath it. I saw a small line of four switches, one reading 'curtains' and one reading 'service', as well as a tall sink with a tap and several bottles of alcohol and posh-looking drinks stored away in an above compartment.

Keeping my jaw closed proved to be a very hard exercise, and it wasn't till Luke snapped his fingers in front of my face that I was brought back to reality. "Impressed? It's all mine," he declared, raising his arms to include everything on the plane.

Down went the jaw again. "All of this?!"

"Yep. My 21st birthday present."

Our conversation was cut short by another person, who I sort of recognised. "Hello Calum, we meet again."

I stared blankly at the tall man for a few moments before it clicked. "Oh, you're James, Luke's secretary!"

He chuckled and Luke shook his head in amusement. "Yeah, that's me. Listen, I don't want to disturb you guys, but Luke, I need to discuss tomorrow's agenda with you. The plane is set to take off in fifteen minutes, so the earlier we get it done the quicker I can leave you guys to it."

Luke agreed and smiled at me briefly before they went into a separate room I didn't even know existed. Just how big was this tiny plane?!

"Excuse me sir, would you like anything to eat or drink? Or maybe I could put on a film for you?" one of the air hostesses asked politely, her gloved hands clasped in front of her abdomen.