Chapter 22 - Liz

Chapter 22

Calum

Monday

"...You can't stay here anymore. Either of you," Ashton informed as we walked to a restaurant for lunch. A lump formed in my throat, restricting me from letting any words out in response – but Michael simply scoffed, his new dyed blue hair moving in time with his motions.

"What is it?" he questioned. "We can pay, if that's the issue."

Ashton shook his head despondently, tightening his grip on his backpack straps. "It's not that... basically the Hemmo group have constructed a dry cleaning company overnight just behind our store. They're offering such cheap prices that we can't afford to compete with, and it's clear they're driving us out of business – what I don't see is why! I'm not tied with Luke anymore, we don't have even each other's numbers!"

I gulped rather audibly, earning looks from the other two.

"Unless... you're not still in contact with him, are you?"

"Huh?" I replied, raising my eyebrows.

"Luke?"

"Uhhh... I am..."

He threw his head back and let out a long sigh. "Okay. Well that explains it. This is exactly why – oh whatever. Look I'm really, really sorry but there's nothing I can do. You guys have to move out. Bills can't even be paid right now."

To say I felt awful would be such a deep understatement that I'd have to drown myself in order to regain even the slightest bit of dignity, but I realised that I was helpless in this situation. Michael and I exchanged glances, and we knew that the only option left was to go back to our families.

He'd go home to his parents who owned a farm north of Baltimore, and I'd go back to Auntie Sarah who lived in Washington. It had always been my last resort to do so, but it was summer break after all and if she couldn't accept me, who else would?

Part of me regretted not taking Marie's money and staying away, yet at the same time I knew I wouldn't be able to live without seeing Luke. We ate lunch with a weird tension surrounding us and headed back to pack our bags. Ashton agreed that we could leave all the heavy stuff there, since the matter was likely to be cleared up in a few weeks, so we just put some clothes into a suitcase each along with some necessities.

In the evening, I called up Auntie Sarah.

"Hello? Is that you Calum?"

She sounded drunk again... very drunk. "Yes Auntie Sarah – how have you been?" I asked through gritted teeth, trying to keep my composure.

"Ugh. Just tell me what you need," she slurred.

I hesitated, clearing my throat before replying with, "Can I stay with you for summer break?"

"What happened to your apartment? Get taken away?"

"Something like that."

"Friends?"

"I don't want to burden them."

She didn't seem to be too bothered when she said, "Fine. Just stay in your room and don't bother me too much. Do I need to pick you up from the train station?"

"That would help a lot, yes."

"Okay. Do you need any more allowance?"

"I'm fine thanks."

"You're still healthy and fit, right?"

"Yep."

"Well then I have nothing to worry about. Text me when you arrive."