Chapter 19 - Moving

Chapter 19

Calum

Wednesday

"You look annoyed. And you smell like shit," Ashton remarked.

"Okay, I really don't need your snarky comments right now Ash," I snapped, pulling up my hood and collapsing on my desk with a loud sigh.

He perched in front of the table, resting his head at the end and crouching down. "Tell me what happened and I'll stop pestering you."

I groaned, not really wanting to remember what had just happened. I'd stormed off and publicly humiliated myself by wearing little to nothing; thankfully it was really early in the morning and there weren't many people outside, besides the odd runner or dog-walker.

I'd made it to mine and Michael's apartment (thankfully he hadn't moved the stuff yet, despite me saying we'd do it the day before) and cried in his lap for probably an hour, until it was time to leave for college. I hadn't had time to shower because I'd been weeping and telling Michael what Luke had done.

Truthfully, I felt kinda bad for going off at him like that. After mulling over it for some time, I realised he was just trying to be nice, and those new Converse definitely couldn't have been terribly cheap. My phone had run out of battery overnight so I couldn't contact him either.

Well, he told me last night that he'd be really busy today, and so would I. Michael and I had to move stuff to Ashton's house, didn't we?

"I'm not in the mood to talk about it," I mumbled to Ashton, who pouted. Moments later he stood up and I looked at him, noticing that Angelina was there.

Oh, Angelina. I totally needed to see her. Yet another Hemmings for me to be concerned about.

"Calum... my parents meant to apologise for what happened on Saturday... so do I. I didn't expect Luke to come."

Well, I couldn't exactly blame her; she wasn't really in the wrong. It was her mother that was creating difficulty for me and Luke. And whilst I accepted that Angelina was innocent, I still couldn't get Marie's words out of my head.

"Five thousand dollars! Five thousand dollars for you to stay away."

It sent shivers down my spine whenever I recalled it.

"It's okay, your mother already spoke to me about it."

"Oh, what did she say?"

"N-nothing much. Just an apology."

She frowned, saying, "That doesn't seem like something she'd say. Did she mention money?"

"Why do you ask?"

She shrugged in a matter-of-fact way. "Tends to be what she does after an event like that. Don't mind her, she means well okay?"

Haha, if only she knew! I forced a smile and Ashton sulked off to his desk, just as our teacher came in.

I wasn't in a fit state for college but whatever. I still needed to get through the day, and make sure the money I was paying for my tuition wasn't going to waste.

~

"Mikey, c'mon let's go! We should get the stuff moved before it gets too dark," I shouted, catching up with my gamer friend who was chatting with a couple of his art friends.

"Hey buddy! Damn it's been ages. Is Ash coming with us?"

"Yep. He's just grabbing a few more books."

My mood had improved over the course of the day, probably because there wasn't anyone or anything that could remind me of Luke and his step-mother and that definitely helped in forgetting all the occurrences from the past couple of days.