Chapter 8 - Bloody Rich People

Picture of Luke's stepmum, Marie >:/

Chapter 8 - Bloody Rich People

Calum

Tuesday

I arrived at college but realised I'd left my bag at Angelina's house, along with my wallet – so I couldn't pay the driver until Ashton had found me. To my relief, Leelou was safely attached to him and as soon as I got out the cab I started playing with her.

"Where'd you go?" he asked, putting away his wallet.

"Angelina's place for lunch."

"Why...?"

I shrugged. "She invited me."

"And why does it look like you're crying? And why didn't you come back with her? And-"

"Cut it out, Ash! Shit happened but I'm back here. I left my bag there by accident so can I borrow a pen?"

He dropped it and sighed, nodding. We went back into Mr Jensen's lesson on how to handle terminally ill animals, and I pushed the events of earlier as far back in my head as I could.

Thursday

I hadn't received a call or text from Luke, not that I was necessarily expecting one. If I remembered correctly, he only needed someone to look after Leelou because he hadn't told his parents yet – and since they knew now, he probably had no need to.

I caught up with Michael and his friends at lunch, trying to avoid talking to anyone in my class. They all had dyed hair, except for Michael who'd previously had red hair but had re-dyed it blonde because he wanted a change, and a weird sense of fashion. Like, they'd always be wearing t-shirts from 2006, and either cropped or flared jeans. Sprawled across the warm sun-baked lawn, I listened in on their conversations.

"C'mon Michael, tell me when the last time you hooked up with someone was," his friend Ricky demanded. He rolled his eyes.

"I really don't see how that's relevant when we're talking about you and your stupid crush who obviously doesn't have any feelings for you."

"No need to be sour about it!" Ricky cried, opening his sketchbook and flicking through the well-worked pages. "Anyway, you never know. She might fall heels over head for me."

"It's head over heels, you moron," Michael replied in an undertone.

"English never was my strong point. Here, check this out – I drew her!"

He passed the sketchbook around, whilst I got my phone out and began scrolling through my Facebook feed. When I got bored, I sat up and looked around, noticing two guys making out by the fountain, a pet rabbit on the run, and Luke.

Whoa. Luke?

What was he doing here?

I tried to hide, but he'd seen me and looked as confused as I felt, making his way over. Now that I felt all unsettled and jittery, I stood and hurried over so Luke wouldn't disrupt their little group with his sexiness.

"I need to tell you something," was the first thing he said upon meeting me face-to-face. He looked kinda desperate, almost weary. "I... I need to apologise."

"Well, do it then."

"I'm sorry. I judged you wrongly and probably hurt your feelings a lot."

I smiled with my lips shut. "Apology accepted."

All of a sudden we were plunged into a very awkward silence.

"What are you doing here?" we said in unison, making us chuckle a little.