Chapter 28 - Apartment 212A

Totally didn't get inspiration for 212A from Sherlock's 221B or anything

Chapter 28

Luke

One week later

I groaned at my colleagues as we sat at the meeting table that morning. "What do you mean they're refusing to keep building?"

Richard cleared his throat and said, "Apparently there have been sightings of an endangered bird species in the area and the local authorities have been demanding that they stop. They'll only let us continue if one of us go down and talk to the nature people."

I buried my head in my hands, rubbing my fingers through my hair a few times. "This is such..." I didn't want to cuss in front of my fellow workers so I sighed and glanced up at the expectant eyes watching me. "I'll go down tomorrow morning. Can you all take care of any paperwork that needs doing?"

A wave of 'yes's and 'of course's spanned the room and I nodded, pursing my lips and turning to look at James.

"Get the private jet ready for nine am tomorrow morning," I said to him. He jotted it down and we finished the meeting. I was about to leave for lunch when James stopped me, passing me an envelope with my name written in small cursive script.

"Your grandma asked me to pass this on in secret," he whispered as I received it from him. I didn't hesitate before opening because whenever she send letters they were always of some use.

Dearest grandson,

A surprise will be waiting for you at your mother's old apartment. In case you lost the key, I have put a spare one in here for you.

Enjoy!

Flossy

Despite having no idea what this was all about, I put the letter and ripped envelope in the trash and kept the key. I didn't need an address to find my mum's apartment – I knew the directions like the back of my hand.

"Postpone lunch, I've got to go somewhere quickly," I murmured to James, not waiting for an answer before I sped off towards the elevator.

Calum

"Apartment 212A... oh, here it is!" I exclaimed to myself, inserting the key into the seemingly untouched keyhole. I turned it twice and it unlocked, and though it shouldn't have surprised me, it still did. It wasn't every day I got a key to a random apartment in possibly the most expensive area in central Baltimore (except for the area the Watsons lived in, but that was a little further out). I stepped in and my feet brushed against a welcome mat that again, looked as though it was new.

Inside, I peered around and noticed the dark brown wooden floor boards, the small but exquisite chandelier in the little hallway, the fancy light switches that had carvings around them and the almost familiar smell in the room.

Going a bit further I reached the main living space where it was pretty empty, with just a few couches that still had plastic coverings over them, and a coffee table. Upon closer inspection I found a note in the same paper that I had received in the mail.

I dumped my bag on the pristine floor and picked up the note, letting my eyes scan it.

This apartment is for you two to share. No one knows about it but me and my other children, but they won't disturb you. Marie's people won't catch you, as long as you don't let them follow you here.

I wish you the best of luck. Start a new life here, or sell this place and move far away – I leave it to you both now.

What did the note mean by 'you both'? I didn't exactly expect to be sharing with someone.