Chapter 18: The Hospital

The next day Matilda, Allie and Fitz came to visit them in the hospital. Kommissar slept lightly, holding Henry. Pieter was on his phone, waiting for Kommissar to wake up. She woke up just before they arrived.
"Mommy!" Matilda runs to them.
Kommissar shushed her gently. "Calm down, love. He's got little ears so not so loud, okay?"
Matilda nods excitedly and looks at Henry. Pieter lifts her up so she can get a better view.
"So he's my baby brother!" Matilda says loudly.
"He is. His name's Henry. Would you like to hold him?" Pieter asks.
"JA JA JA! I can sit here den you pass him to me okay daddy." She replies. Pieter laughs softly and takes Henry, putting him in her arms carefully when she sat down. He took some pictures while Kommissar spoke with Allie.
Pieter took Henry off Matilda when her arms started hurting. He sits them both on his knee.
"Daddy..." Says Matilda.
"Yes darling?"
"Its my birthday in four days guess how old I am!"
"You're gonna be a big, big three. Aren't you?"
"Yeah and Henry is zero. I count free fingers and he counts zero fingers den you count a hundred fousand of your fingers." She says.
"Correct. But let's have a quiet birthday at home with Henry. You can play with all your new toys.
"No! I'm having a princess party!"
"Look," he says. "Mommy and daddy are very tired. We haven't had time to make a princess party. But you can have a HUGE piece of chocolate cake. Deal?"
"N-no daddy. I just have a princess party and chocolate cake okay?"
He looks at Kommissar.
"Mati. Don't raise your voice. Don't talk about it now because it's going to be a surprise." Kommissar says. Matilda looks down.
"But daddy was just being mean to me. He says I'm not a princess."
"You are a princess. Maybe you can dress Henry up like a Prince when we get home." Says Kommissar, smiling. Pieter took Henry and Matilda to the hospital cafe and got some lunch for the girls and himself.