Pain

(M/N) was at France's house, helping the country of love trim his bushes of red roses. (M/N) was smiling big as he did so, for he liked working with plants, no matter what kind. Though, that smile immediately vanished when he felt one of the large thorns slice through his finger.

The pain was horrific, and (M/N) screamed, dropping his tools and trying desperately to get the pain and the bleeding to stop. Of course, his whimpers and scream alarmed France, who happened to be nearby, and the blonde-haired nation hurried over to the younger boy. However, he came to a halt when he saw the bleeding finger.

He approached the boy cautiously, unsure of how to handle this. "Come now cherie, it'z just a thorn prick. Don't worry." Apparently his attempt at a gentle voice didn't help, as (M/N) continued to whimper and suck at his own finger.

Okay, France really needs to call America.

The latter picked up after the first ring, and he clearly heard (M/N), because he immediately asked, "What's happened?"

"Thorn prick," was France's answer. What else what he supposed to say to explain (M/N)'s predicament? "Do you mind explaining why (M/N) iz treating zhis like it'z a sword wound?"

"Because it feels like a sword wound," America answered.

"What?"

"Those with autism are very different from those when it comes to various kinds of pain. The part you're witnessing right now is an instance where simple things like a bruised knee can feel ten times worse than what NT people feel. What you should do is try to help bind the prick and stop the bleeding. Can you do that?"

"I can try..." France said, unsure.

"I can't get there in one day, so you'll have to do it on your own France."

Of course he would. He wasn't some helpless child, he was France for heaven's sake!

~~~

America was worried, because his son had developed a broken ankle the other day, and yet the boy was ignoring it like it was nothing so he could continue his routine. The older man knew he needed to bring a stop to this before that wound became serious.

"(M/N), come on!" America called, coming into (M/N)'s room and taking the boy up onto his back. "We're heading to the doctor."

(M/N) squeaked in resistance, and especially in disbelief, as America never told him they would be heading to the doctor's today.

"You argue with me young man, and you'll be grounded from your music for a week!" (M/N) froze, refusing to move for fear his foster father would do just that, even as they arrived at the hospital to fix his broken ankle.

Pain is a pretty complicated topic for those with autism. Now, I'm sure this doesn't happen to everyone, but there have been instances when those on the autism spectrum are able to ignore the pain that NT people would find unable to ignore, especially when it comes to our routines. This isn't always a good thing as you saw here, for ignoring that kind of injury can lead to devastating consequences. Sometimes it takes their bodies even longer to register the pain, and the autistic person won't even remember where that pain came from!
However, minor injuries, like bruises or small cuts, can be excruciating for us. I don't know why that is, but when I was little even the smallest of bruises had me crying. I hated how it felt, and let it me tell you it didn't feel good at all.
If you wish to see an example of this, go to this link (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergers-diary/201009/aspergers-pain-perception-and-body-awareness). Really makes you worry for anyone who has Asperger's syndrome or autism.