Meltdown

The nations were on edge, glancing warily at (M/N) from across the room. Speaking of (M/N), the boy seemed to be hyperventilating. He was also shaking so badly that he kept messing up on his doll's hair, and that seemed to break the camel's back.

(M/N) started screaming, scaring the nations nearest him, and began to bang his head on the wall, tears falling rapidly from his eyes, and even began to throw objects around, almost hitting Germany and even Russia. He really appeared to be a mentally unstable person just from that alone.

"(M/N), stop it!" America, who had been out of the room at the time, immediately took action and hurried over to (M/N), pinning him to the ground as the younger boy continued to scream, this one completely filled with turmoil. Keeping his arms and legs restrained, America carried (M/N) out of the room, his cries of inner pain echoing throughout the building. A door closed, and the nations, still shaken up from (M/N)'s episode, walked towards that door, where sobs and America's comforting voice were heard.

"Look at me (M/N), and breathe..." came America's voice. "(M/N), keep looking at me. Don't take your eyes off me."

Inside the room, America and (M/N) sat on a couch, the latter's face caked with tears as he copied his father in covering his nose and breathing through his mouth. His breathing was shaky in the beginning, but eventually that stabilized. Still, the younger boy glanced up at America in guilt. America just patted his back.

"Now why don't you tell me what happened today?"

Also as an effort to keep his son's hands busy, America had taught (M/N) American Sign Language, which also helped the boy communicate. (M/N)'s hands moved at a fast rate, his breathing quickening with anger, until he finally stopped.

Then, against all odds, this happened.

"They said you were a bastard!" (M/N) cried out, speaking for the first time ever. "They just sneered it!"

(M/N)'s voice was a deep, but sensual sound, but it would be completely different if (M/N) wasn't speaking with a lump in his throat.

America sighed and placed a hand on his foster son's shoulder. "(M/N), did they even know me?"

(M/N) froze, completely lost in thought, before he reluctantly shrugged, completely confused.

"Listen to me (M/N); You can't let them get to you. I understand that you were trying to protect my honor, but those stupid kids don't know me, so unless they do know something about me, don't take it for granted. Now, here." America handed (M/N) his doll and box. "Listen to your music to calm yourself okay? And after you're calm, you go apologize to the others for your behavior, okay?"

(M/N) nodded slowly, like he was reluctant to face the others after his episode. Clearly, this wasn't the first time this happened, and (M/N) was too embarrassed to share that information.

The nations hurried back to the room before America could come out, and as soon as the younger nation stepped in, they were demanding an explanation.

"What the bloody hell was that?"

"What happened?"

America pinched his nose. "Please, one at a time. I'm going to start explaining right now, so please leave your questions for later."

That silenced everyone.

"What you saw was a meltdown. It occurs when something overwhelms an autistic person, like someone touching them, but most causes are frustration and/or anxiety. Now, as you saw with (M/N), meltdowns can be quite dangerous, but there are different types.

"There's the angry meltdown, where smashing, throwing, and ripping are involved. This can lead to injuries of the autistic person him or herself, and of others. This is a display of the pain they're experiencing inwardly. People cannot tell them to "calm down" or that it's "okay" because that will only trivialize the distress they're feeling and make it worse.

"Then there's the depressed meltdown, where those with autism or on the autism spectrum feel like they're worthless and the world is better off without them."

"So basically vhat ve just saw vas an angry meltdown," finished Hungary.

"Yes, and let's just say (M/N) didn't have a good day today."

"How wirr we know the signs?" Japan asked.

"Rumbling is a sure sign, as well as pacing and verbalizing aggressively. If this happens again while I'm out again, make sure to get (M/N) to a quiet and safe place so he doesn't hurt himself or anyone. We also need to be sure to install crash mats and a safety helmet. If you need to restrain him to get him out, do so, alright? Also, if he suddenly runs off, don't look for him until after a little while, because he needs to get away for a little bit. Just remember that (M/N) can't help this, even though he's trying his hardest."

The nations nodded, now understanding why there was a room in America's house with cushions, a weighted blanket, and a safety helmet.

Meltdowns are one of the worst things about having autism or a form of it. They're created from sheer frustration, anxiety, and even depression. However, what makes this upsetting is how many parents are complaining about how hard it is to deal with meltdowns, almost like they're the victims. What they fail to understand however is how much pain the autistic child is in when the meltdown occurs.
What you saw above is how to deal with meltdowns, though if you wish to learn more, look it up here (http://themighty.com/2015/04/what-an-autism-meltdown-feels-like/). There's also the fact that meltdowns are understandably dreaded and no one (if you have autism or a form of it of course) can really control it. It's really scary.
I myself had a near meltdown myself a long time ago, and it was during high school. I was shaking, hyperventilating, and ready to bang my head on something just to get the turmoil to stop. I didn't want to hurt anyone, or myself for that matter, but it was so hard to keep it in. God, it was like something was eating away at my chest, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.
I really hope people will use this information to help a child with autism or Asperger's, instead of trying to gain sympathy. Hell, my parents didn't parade me around like a circus freak! Sorry if I've offended someone who works at the circus, but that's just how I feel.