Chapter 20 - This will be my best season ever, I can feel it

It all started that one summer...

Chapter 20 - This will be my best season ever, I can feel it

Isco

          I arrived in Italy two hours laters and ate dinner with the team. I had Seba’s at one side and Portillo on the other. Portillo was telling me all about his vacation. He tells me about the girls he met and how amazing it was in Greece and how he wants to back next summer. Sometimes I let him talk because he is always eager to talk to people. He is a bit hyper, just like on the pitch. I was surprised when the boys asked me if I met anyone and I made the mistake of telling them about Katie. I froze in my chair and hoped no one asked me about her but Jesus was a           “Tell me all about her,” Jesus Gamez said and he pushed his plate away because he was finished. He locked lk eyes with me and then the side smile that appeared across his told me he wasn’t ready to let go.

          “When I was in Ibiza, I saw this girl and I was blown away by her beauty…” I started to say and noticed that everyone on the table was done eating and looking at me. I looked at the the other tables and waited for Pellegrini to call us so we can get some sleep. My body was asking for someplace to rest but Jesus and everyone in my table was waiting for me to continue. It’s not that I don’t want to talk about, because I do. I want to tell the world about her, but I’m scared of telling them about her.

          “How did you talk to her? Did you use your footballer charm?” Jesus asked and Portillo punched his shoulder. Jesus always likes to make jokes and sometimes he uses things against us. Most of the time I join in with him and make fun of our teammates, but that it was going to be all about me… I don’t want to.

          “He probably splashed some water on her face and used that as an excuse to start a conversation.” Portillo said and everyone on the table started to laugh. I glared at both of them and then shook my head because I knew my answer was going to be kind of childish.

          “No, it was nothing like that. I made her bump into me.” I said and looked at my plate. The whole table started to laugh again and I started to feel tired again. I didn’t want to talk anymore and after spending two days talking to Katie, I just want to rest.

          “and it worked?” Jesus said and I just smiled at him. “She must be as childish as you are.” He said with a half smile and I just shook my head. I relived everything in my head as if it was a movie… and you know what, it was perfect.

          Jesus and everyone else on the table kept asking me question and I answered them. I had nothing else to do. I told him all about my trip and how we met. They were all interested in what I was saying, and they didn’t believe that we haven’t slept together. They thought I was lying, and I liked it that way. I knew that this whole conversation was going to reach everyone in the locker room and that tomorrow I would never heard the end of it. I tried to change the conversation by asking them about the preseason matches and how is the chemistry in the locker room. I am excited for the new season, I want to win and even if it will make Katie mad, I want us to win… at least something. I know Katie loves Barcelona.

          “Come on team, you can all hang around the hotel lobby, but I want everyone to go to bed in an hour.” Pellegrini said standing up from his table. “Tomorrow morning is a double training session day, Isco since you just got back for your vacation you have to catch up with everyone else.” He said looking at me and then said we can all go out own ways. The guys all divided into groups and went their own ways. Some to play fifa and others to play parchis. Ignacio Camacho asked me to join him but I decided to go straight to bed.

          After like 10 minutes, I finally found my room. I opened the door and put my bags in front of the empty bed and laid on it. It’s a little bit hard but it will do. I kick my shoes off and fished for my phone from my back pocket and start texting Katie. ‘Hi, I just arrived in Italy. I hope you arrive to safely to NY. xx’ I put my phone on the night table next to me and closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

          The next day my roommate Ignacio, really who could’ve predicted that, woke me up. I felt a lot better now that I had slept all night. I had more energy and was ready for today’s training session. I messed up my hair and then grabbed my phone to find Katie had replied to me.

          ‘I am glad you got there safely, I just arrived at NYC. I think my flight to Miami got delayed and I am going to spend the night in the airport. I miss you. :)’ It said and while I read the text I heard her voice in my head.

          “You finally woke up.” Ignacio said coming out of the bathroom with his toothbrush in his hands.

          “yeah,” I said while quickly trying to reply to Katie without drawing too much attention to myself. I asked her to please text me when she gets home, just to know that she was ok. When I finished, Ignacio was looking at me weird.

          “Jesus told me everything about your girl,” He said smiling at me. I got out of bed and grabbed the outfit that was in the closet.

          “I thought he would.” I said smiling and took off my shirt and put on the new one.

          “You have to tell me more about this girl,” He said while walking to the door. “You can show me a picture of her and I will show you a pictures of my holiday with my girl.” He smiled and walked out the room. I changed my shorts really quickly and followed him out the door.