Chapter 10

Chapter 10

She hated St. Rosemunde too much to be here for no reason.

Yet, Miren had made a decision to finally make amends with Chara. And if she got to see the other student's give Penelope hell...well, that was a sacrifice she'd just have to make, damn it.

Priorities.

Boys were allowed to stop by for lunch with the girls, but she had no idea if the nun's put the school on lockdown after Friday's stunt. Miren grinned like an idiot as she walked the near empty hallway leading to the cafeteria. Revenge might have been wrong, but it was the only thing that felt right in her life. And even if she wasn't responsible for this particular scheme, that didn't mean she couldn't admire it.

As she entered the cafeteria, Miren scanned the floor for her friend. Instead, she found the classmates she'd grown to despise over the years.

She steadied her breathing as she pushed open the door. She smiled at one of the nuns, Sister Katherine, who nodded back at her.

"Have you seen Chara Tachibana?" she asked her. "I'm just stopping by to lend her one of my books."

"Unfortunately, I have not." The older woman laughed. "But it's nice to see that students still read." The woman began to go on a rant about the importance of scripture when Miren politely excused herself.

The mess hall was a little smaller than Rinzen's, but the student body was also a smaller. Her Oxford's skimmed along the tile as she continued to scan the audience. Some eyes landed on her—she was one of maybe thirty boys in here—but she ignored them, pressing on. She saw some girls that Chara hung out with at a table off to the corner.

"Hey," she said, feeling a little weird. "I'm Miles, one of Chara's and Wallace's friends. Do you know where she is? I need to give her this book." She wove the copy of Looking for Alaska in the air.

One of the girls, a curly haired blonde, pursed her lips. "She's in the courtyard with Artemis."

"They've been getting friendly lately, haven't they?" a mousy-haired girl said, opening a can of diet sprite.

"They were friends with Miren," another said. "They probably just need closure. I mean, I feel bad for Penelope too, but part of me wonders if it's karma."

"Why? Miren was a poor loser."

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead, Jill."

As the girls began to bicker about a conspiracy theory involving Miren, she left without them even noticing. Fuckers.

But they were right about Chara being in the courtyard. Through the glass she saw her discussing something almost furiously with Artemis. With a sigh, Miren knocked on it before stepping in.

"Miles?" Artemis blinked at the boy. But Miren should have been the one blinking. Although she had noted her change in hairstyle the other day, being up close and personal was a different story. There was a weird aura about her—she wasn't the good-natured, self-righteous girl from yesterday. And Miren didn't know whether to feel impressed or responsible.

"Nice to see you again, Artemis." Miren extended her hand to shake. "It's been a while since homecoming, hasn't it?"

"Yeah," Artemis sighed. "Unfortunately, a lot of shit has happened since then."

"I know." Something that resembled shame swelled up in Miren's chest, but she ignored it, offering the girl a hopeful smile. "But you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. In the wake of tragedy it's best to reevaluate yourself and try to move forward. But it's much easier said than done, I'm afraid."