Chapter 32

Chapter 32

School was getting back to normal. But normal was relative, and it was never Miren's standard.

Speaking of standard, Cowdry was just as intense as she usually was, and had even offered the class a ten-paged written report on their choice of U.S. historical conspiracies. It would have been a cool project, but Miren had more important things to worry about than the Watergate Scandal or the efficiency of the Federal Reserve System.

As the bell rang, she collected her things in a haste. She wasn't in a rush per se, but the last thing she needed was Parker or Levi to engage her in conversation.

"Hey, Miles," Parker then said as he approached her. "How was your break?"

Miren cursed internally before smiling. Oh, I just made out with your rival. No big deal. What about you? "Good. Too short as always."

"Tell me about it," he scratched his head, and Miren noticed his hair was noticeably shorter, ridding him of his curls. The sight almost saddened her until she realized she wasn't supposed to still feel some type of way about him. And she didn't.

But she wasn't confident that she wasn't lying to herself.

"Long story short, I spoke with Dr. Castro and Dr. Edsel, and we decided that Rinzen should have an intervention." He sighed. "We also need to record a formal apology to Penelope for Rosemunde's TV announcements. But I wanted to know if you'd be interested in moderating the session with me. I mean, I know it's weird to put you on the spot, but Levi and Wallace already said no, and I'm not exactly on the best terms with my supposed friends right now."

"Well, when you put it like that..." Miren felt no real offense, just irritation. All of a sudden she was the bro of the ball; it seriously made her reconsider ever giving up this illusion, even if it was emotionally exhausting.

"I'm serious." Parker folded his arms, and to her surprise he actually looked sterner than Jeno. "Soren was probably responsible for filming and releasing the sex tape too. It's sick to think that I called him my best friend."

"Then it's a good thing you have me," Levi said, joining the conversation. Apparently they didn't have classes to get to because they were now the only students in the room. Miren rolled her eyes, sensing this encounter wouldn't end any time soon. "Who knew Soren was such a nark?"

            It was probably wrong to pin the blame on Soren (just probably), then again, he was also the richest of the potential culprits. His mommy and daddy could get him out of this one. And if they couldn't, oh well.

            "So what do you say?" Parker pushed. "There'll be no technology, no faculty. We'll split up into upperclassmen and underclassmen groups and dispel all of the negative energy in the air."

            "Sounds like a slumber party," Miren offered, not quite convinced. However, she could tell Levi's ears were peeled on their discussion. Something told her that he would make a deep interpretation of her seemingly meaningless decision. If she said no, it might imply something. And she hadn't forgotten that he was watching her.

            With a sigh, she nodded. "Alright. Text me the details. I'm late for Calculus." She turned to Levi. "You're president of the pre-med society, right?"

            "Unfortunately," Levi replied, pulling his backpack over his shoulder. "You wanna join?"

            She nodded again as she walked out with the boys. She didn't know how she would get him off her trail, but perhaps it was best to keep her enemies close.

            Or just everyone except Jeno.

***

            Lunch was a little more girly than usual.