NEW YEAR'S EVE

Chapter 26

Aside from a plastic evergreen tree in the living room, the Rutherfords didn't really celebrate Christmas. There were no presents, as Janice insisted that gifts should only be purchased with purpose, rather than some sort of capitalistic obligation. And Rory, a former real estate attorney and all around frugal humanitarian, agreed with her.

But New Year's Eve was a different story.

In fact, it was a party.

Some of Janice's surgical partners and fellows at UPenn were at the house discussing medical stuff as Rory charmed some friends that looked like the poster men for Golf Fancy. It was an adult party, but not the fun kind. Miren would have been bored out of her mind, but she technically wasn't invited to the party, so she was at the indoor pool area with everyone else under forty. So there was like eight of them.

Even though she was about ten feet away from the water, she felt like she was begging to be exposed. Afterall, if Jemma and Edsel decided to pull her in, that would be it, wouldn't it? Thankfully, the two of them were off at the deep end helping a middle-school aged boy and girl perfect their backstrokes. Miren breathed a slight sigh of relief until a shadow eclipsed over her.

"Mind if I take a seat?" Miren nodded before even seeing whom it was, but she could place the voice anywhere.

"Hey, Ms. Cowdry." Miren stiffened in her beach chair, despite the lack of alarm she felt. This past week had been relatively painless. Her teacher usually went off with Edsel, whether it was for walks through the park, shopping, or discussing Rinzen administration stuff in the study room. In fact, this was the first time they'd talked directly since she got here.

"You can call me Carlie here." The woman straightened her tunic dress as she sat down, her honey hair falling just past her shoulders. "You're probably my best student, Miles."

"Really?" she probably perked too much at the compliment, but Carlie just smiled. It was almost as weird as watching Jeno smile. Miren looked around the space. That reminds me, where did he go?

The woman opened a book, Much Ado About Nothing. Miren blinked at her.

"Why aren't you swimming?" Miren asked, turning toward the pool. "I didn't bring a swim trunks and I honestly don't care for it."

"Then that makes two of us." She flipped a page. "Almost drowned when I was a kid. Ironic because my younger sister was a professional swimmer, even made Olympic Trials."

"Get in here, Miles!" Jemma waved at her. Miren offered her a small smile before pointing at Cowdry.

"We're talking about an assignment. I'll come in later."

"Can you swim?" Jemma then prodded. "Because I completely understand if you can't. Not that I'm stereotyping you or anything, mom just said to attack racial biases head on."

"Don't worry, I can." She could. Penelope had taught her. The act probably stood as the one of the few good gestures the girl offered her.

"You're not really going to leave me in here with all of these juveniles?" Edsel then said to Ms. Cowdry, before splashing one of the kids in the water. He motioned for his girlfriend. "Come on, the water's warm..."

"That's only because you're a hot head." Carlie flipped a page. "I'm good. Let me know when you want to mingle with the adults. You know, like adults."