Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"We have to decide who to pin this on," Jeno said as he drove his car. It was just after eight, but it already felt beyond late. They all had a million and one finals next week, and this was just another distraction. "Now."

"But I haven't even finished my milkshake," Wallace practically whined in the backseat as Chara fed him fries, giggling. Miren would have offered them a look of mock disgust, but she was realizing she had no right to dismiss their harmless displays of affection. Not after I...

"This isn't some joyride," was Jeno's reply. "You know we can't talk about this anywhere near campus. And we'll be there sooner than later."

"I've already made my decision." Miren folded her arms. "What we need to discuss is our next attack on Penelope. Quickly. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to study."

"Madam Buzzkill is right," Chara replied, brushing her hands clean. "Castro imposed a new curfew. I have to be back on campus by eight thirty."

"Well, we could go for a random person, but that would hardly be any fun." Jeno made a left turn. "But the real question is if the joker should be from Rosemunde or Rinzen."

"We could blame your old roommate," Chara offered Miren. "Afterall, it makes sense for her to have access to your dresser."

"But she also has no incentive." Miren folded her arms, watching the sleepy city blur past the window. "She has that room all to herself. She could be an accomplice, sure, but not the perpetrator."

"Fine." Chara sighed in defeat. "I guess we'll have to leave the Rosemunde royals out of it too. But who?" That was a good question.

The group groaned.

"Or we could just blame Penelope." Wallace shrugged. "Say that she was trying to garner some fake sympathy or something."

"That's not a bad idea, but it's risky." Jeno shook his head. "We already made a mark. Doing that might make her too suspicious, and remove the sympathy she's getting from the other students."

"That's a good point," Miren reluctantly agreed. This revenge scheme was as muddled as it was clear. They had to take down Penelope, but it couldn't be done in one quick sweep. They had to torment her the way she tormented Miren. Make her truly feel powerless. And that took time.

But are we going too far? Miren couldn't help but consider. She saw no end in sight, and she didn't know whether this was because they were just beginning, or if this was a serious flaw in their overall scheme.

The car approached the gates of Rosemunde and Chara unbuckled her seat belt. "I've been reading a ton of war tactic books, and they say the best thing is to be covert," she presented. "I've tried a thousand combinations for the secret box, but at this rate, I should be able to unlock it in a few weeks." She thought of mentioning her confrontation with Penelope, but decided against it. That was a conversation for her and Miren. "Anyway, you know who I vote for. Sayonara." With a wave, she entered the gates.

"What secret box?" Miren blinked.

"She said it was a secret," Wallace pushed. "We'll tell you once she cracks the code."

She opened her mouth to object before remembering she was hiding a few secrets of her own. "Fine."

"Speaking of secrets," Wallace tugged at Jeno's collar from the backseat, studying the hickies on his neck. "Who knew you weren't a vampire?" Jeno groaned.