Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"I'm sorry about the misunderstanding." Jeno shook his head as they walked the hallway. Miren focused on some portraits on the cinnamon colored walls. With a sigh he opened the door of his bedroom. It was as she probably should have expected. Clean and expressionless aside from some Marvel's Avengers posters that hung on the walls from his youthier youth.

The room was of modest size, and it conveniently had its own bathroom.

"It's jack and jill styled, so I share the bathroom with Jemma." He sighed. "That's why I wanted you to have the guestroom. I didn't know Carlie would be here."

Carlie? Miren wrinkled her nose, placing her duffle bag by the nook of the bay window. "You were acting like your bed was the size of the ones at Rinzen." She scratched her head, studying the navy comforter. "Who buys their kid a king-sized bed?"

"My parents have frequent visitors, colleagues for academic research seminars and such."

"You sleep like a rock anyway," Miren concluded. "I'll keep on my side and you keep on yours. No problem."

"No," Jeno shook his head. "I'll sleep on the floor."

Miren rolled her eyes. "We didn't take a five hour train just for you to sleep on the floor." She shrugged, sitting on the mattress. "Besides, I'm a boy remember?"

He offered her a conflicted look. She rolled her eyes again. "We're friends and it's fine. I'm the one imposing. If anything, I'll sleep on the floor."

"No." His voice was in a hush. He sighed in defeat before opening the window. Through it, Miren could see the snow-brushed forest landscape. It looked like Narnia. It almost took her breath away, until Jeno sat down next to her. "You're right. I'm being weird."

"You're always weird."

"I know it was probably a risky, stupid move bringing you here, but I honestly don't think anything will go wrong." He was on his feet again, and he pulled one of his dresser drawers open. "Anything incriminating that you have, you put it in here. Anything incriminating you have to say, you whisper it. To me. Closely. I can't guarantee Roger or Jemma won't try snooping through your stuff. But since there's supposed to be a snow storm this week, they probably won't get much of a chance to with us in the house."

Miren nodded. "What do you think their deal is? I mean, I get that he didn't like us driving around in his car, but what did I do?"

"I don't make friends easily, and they're probably wondering why you haven't cursed me out yet." He shrugged, moving to the door now. "Care for a tour?"

Miren smiled, rising to her feet. "Of course. I haven't even seen any embarrassing baby pictures."

Jeno smirked, opening the door. "I can assure you that I have none."

***

After an extensive tour of the mini mansion, which was equipped with an indoor pool and a home theater (yes, with a popcorn and soda machine), they made their way to the dinning room, where Jemma was setting up the table.

"Help, would you?" She handed Jeno a stack of plates before winking at Miren. "Don't worry, you can keep standing there and looking handsome."

Miren almost scowled as Jeno laughed. Yes, this situation was incredibly laughable for anyone that wasn't her.

They set plates in relative silence, until everyone was in the room. The smell of home cooked food filled the air, and Miren couldn't help but feel a little nostalgic. Other than the dinner from hell at Chara's house, it had been a while since she'd had a formal dinner. It had also been a while since she had been immersed in neutral company.