Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Chara held her breath as she traveled through the vents from the janitor's closet that led to the control room. The metallic corridor was actually quite spacious, and like a mouse, she crawled through, hoping she wouldn't come across one or any of its rodent cousins.

She shimmed through a difficult 90-degree angle, sucking her breath and trying not to feel claustrophobic. Especially since it was dark as fuck. As she maneuvered through, she clicked her forehead flashlight on the lowest setting. She moved through the intricate ducts slowly, trying to keep track of all the lefts and rights she had to take. Turning another corner, she stopped briefly when she heard something.

Music.

Her cheeks lifted as she grinned. She turned off her light, moving forward as quickly and as quietly as she could. She almost hit the air vent opening when she saw the dim glow of the control room and a few pairs of feet shuffling against the floor. She pressed her head against it, trying to focus on what song was playing. It was a bit of a strain, but she could make out Penelope's mezzo-soprano voice. Adam. The chorus.

She almost cursed.

They were only on "A Healthy, Normal, American Boy"? And it wasn't even the reprise—the act one finale version. She caught a groan in her throat as she waited.

And waited.

***

Sitting next to Parker, Artemis could only wait—and hope that no one would try anything. But the night was still somewhat young; there were still three more songs left in the first act.

"You don't have to feel so nervous for Pen," Parker whispered to her, clearly glowing in pride for his girlfriend-with-benefits. "She's a professional."

And she was. Watching her on stage, it was hard to believe that she wasn't Rosie Alvarez, a nice secretary and sweetheart to a down-in-his-luck talent agent. Penelope was mesmerizing; so much that Artemis genuinely didn't want anyone to run this moment for her. If she could act like a humane person, then certainly she could be one, right?

Artemis just nodded at Parker. "I know."

But she didn't know what was bound to happen.

***

Chara brushed dust off herself in a distraction effort. But in doing so, the urge to sneeze took over. Her eyes widened as she licked the roof of her mouth frantically. The urge died down, but the tickle remained in her nose as boredom consumed her. It was almost intermission, but it was if the closing number refused to end!

She couldn't even tap her fingers impatiently!

As if to mock her, she heard tapping on the vent before she saw Wallace's Vans. He tapped his left foot five times. With an excited nod, she slid the chip out of the vent with gloved hands. She heard some typing, and he returned it to her.

There was a vibration in her pocket, her cellphone, and her smile intensified. "You got this," she whispered. Then she shimmied out of the ventilation. Minutes later, she was in the janitor's closet again. She brushed off her makeshift cat suit before changing into casual clothing. Once the coast was clear, she left the space. It was hard to contain her excitement, but she knew exciting times were just around the corner.

When she made it to the theater, the audience was just getting situated for the second act. So she took her seat with them. The lights dimmed.

And Operation Showstopper commenced.