Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"You want to fuck up her dumb musical?" Jeno said as he pushed a Stop & Shop grocery stroller. Miren nodded as they passed the seafood isle.

"I told you I'd figure out something over Thanksgiving break, and I did." She thought of mentioning her little run in with Penelope, before deciding against it. "Artemis invited me over to her room and I saw a preliminary flyer for the performance. It made me realize that messing with her reputation will get her nowhere. She's a thespian, if we hit her where it's personal, that should cause some sustainable damage."

Jeno pursed his lips before throwing a packet of aqua blue and emerald green streamers for the open house in the cart. The idea of her being that close to Artemis was slightly unnerving. He shook his head. "And how would we do that?"

"We infiltrate it," Miren said matter-of-factly. "The pit orchestra needs a viola and violin player. That's where we come in. I already signed us up with Mr. Gales. We practice with him for an hour afterschool two times a week, and then show up for dress-up rehearsal in the final two weeks."

"Sounds like a pain in the ass." Jeno sighed before putting in a platter of cookies in the cart. "But I guess another extracurricular won't kill."

Miren nodded. "Some of her new celebrity friends are supposed to be there too. We can have Wal hack her emails for more information, maybe make sure her mom's there to watch her fail epically again." She pulled out two litters of Sprite and Pepsi. "When we were in middle school, her dream was to go to Julliard for performing arts. Let's hope it hasn't changed."

"But do you really think messing up her big solo is honestly going to break her? She's probably a better actor than you, and her response to Miren's death seemed pretty lackluster." He shrugged as they strolled past the bakery area. "I mean, I get it. Your friendship ended with a nuclear explosion. But it makes me wonder if she's honestly heartless, or if you actually did something to deserve all of this," he teased with a smirk.

She nudged him in the shoulder. "It's a story for another day." She sighed, realizing he was still staring at her, eager for something. "Fine. Long story short, I did betray her to an extent. But what I did was the equivalent of pushing her into a bed of grass and her getting a stain on her clothes. Only for her to push me into incoming traffic."

"Jesus." Jeno whispered. "I'm guessing the homecoming king was involved?"

Miren scoffed, turning toward the female merchandise isle. "When isn't he involved?"

"Uh, Miles?"

"I know." She brushed him off before pulling out a pack of pads and tossing them into the cart. "Okay, I think we're done here."

Jeno blinked at her. She rolled her eyes. "You have a sister, don't you?" She pulled the cart to the check out. Miren brought out a piece of paper, examining her list. "Shoot. Forgot paper towels." She handed Jeno the SA funds Levi gave her to pay for their modest open house party supplies. "BRB."

Wrinkling his nose at her IRL text speak, he started unloading the supplies. The cashier began to snicker as she rung up the feminine hygiene product.

"It takes a pretty mature teenager to buy pads for his girlfriend."

Jeno pressed his lips together in a strained smile. "Okay." But he couldn't help but turn in the direction of the girl that he wished was.

***

On the drive back, Miren spoke more confidently about the plan.