Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"I'm not doing your bidding anymore," Levi said as he entered Dr. Edsel's office. The principal raised an eyebrow.

            "And why not?" He turned his attention briefly from his laptop before resuming his typing. "Did Miles say something to you?"

            "He didn't have to say anything for me to realize that you've just been distracting me from the real shit that's been happening." He narrowed his eyes on the man as he pressed his hands on his desk. "There's some type of conspiracy going on with that Miren girl or something. You and Dr. Castro probably covered it up, and you knew Jemma and I would try to get to the bottom of it with all the rumors going around, so you tried to distract us with Miles." He folded his arms. "So who are you protecting? Soren? Parker? Penelope?" His eyes widened. "Jeno?"

            "First off, I have no idea where these allegations are coming from, which concerns me greatly," Dr. Edsel said, shaking his head. "All I wanted was for you to get some dirt on the boy. You know, make things interesting. If you think he isn't hiding anything, you just had to say that. I spent a week with him and he honestly seems more normal than you or my siblings." The man shrugged. "I'm already working on your recommendation, so calm down."

            Levi just stared at the man as if he were the crazy one. But he knew he wasn't crazy. His conclusion made sense, didn't it? Something was going on. Soren was still preaching his innocence, and Parker and Penelope seemed way to content with the fingers pointed at his direction. But the more he thought about what was going on, the more confused he was. Maybe it was nothing. Or maybe it was everything.

            Dr. Edsel rose from his desk, leading the boy out of his office. "If you want to expose some conspiracy, be my guest. But don't complain if you get in too deep. Soren should have been expelled. You bet Penelope should have been suspended, or at least interrogated by the police, but you're not the richest kid around. They are. From one poorer man to another, be careful." He opened the door and Levi nodded.

            "Of course. Sorry for prying."

            "Believe me, I'm trying to figure out what's going on too." Edsel shook his head. "But for all we know it could be nothing. These past few months have been really weird, so I understand your curiosity. But try to enjoy the rest of your senior year. It'll be over before you know it."

            With that, the principal returned to his paper work. And Levi contemplated his next move.

***

            As Miren predicted, she was enlisted (Forced?) to help to decorate for the dance. The week had passed by pretty unremarkably, as the students in that briefly peaceful period before midterms. Although the dance was only semi-formal, it had a fully thought out, wildly creative theme—winter wonderland. Miren hung up a huge snowflake on one of Rosemunde's mess hall walls with Karsha.

            "Theodora should be here in a second, but we can start hanging the streamers, Miles," Karsha informed her, stepping off the table. "The dance is tomorrow for Pete's sake."

            Ah, if only putting on a stupid dance were Miren's greatest worries. When her phone vibrated in her pocket, she knew she was in for some great news.

            Penelope: can we meet at the dance to talk for a sec? I think I know how I'm gonna stage my comeback. would love your insight. u r kind of my only friend right now.  :P

            It took everything not to crush the phone in her bear hands. With a sigh, Miren replied positively before watching Theodora enter the space as she stepped down from the table. Penelope's words from the other week would have played on repeat in her head, but then she remembered what a master manipulator she was. If there was any truth in Penelope's statements, it was that she genuinely didn't know who was responsible for the Rising Scholar Award incident. And although this fact gave Miren hope that Penelope wasn't completely evil, it did nothing to change her opinion of her. Especially with the whole dating-Parker-and-harassing-her-for-no-reason thing. Penelope had to die, and there was no way Miren was giving up so easily.