Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Artemis woke up exhausted. She had patrolled the theater during all three dress rehearsals. And despite all of that, she still had a boatload of homework to complete.

With heavy eyes, she watched Penelope collect her things for the day. She was zipping up a sweatshirt with the play's logo when their eyes hit. The performer beamed.

"Morning. I'm heading to the theater. Fortunately, cast and crew get opening day off." She pulled her purse over her shoulder, studying her tired friend. "If you like, I can try to get you out of class. Castro probably likes me more than my mom at this point."

Artemis shook her head as she rose from her bed. "Castro wants me to make sure no one is trying anything for the musical." She yawned. "I don't really think your persuasion would be effective."

"This is all my fault." Penelope shook her head. "Someone's out for my head and now they're dragging you and the others with me."

Well, it was something like that. Artemis offered her a hopeful smile. "It'll blow over, if it hasn't already. The security is top notch. No one is even allowed inside the control room without signing in. And there's a guard on post that pats them down and uses a metal detector. We have a strong alumni sponsorship for the humanities programs. No one would want to fuck with their charitable donations."

"If you say so," Penelope sighed, pulling her bag to her shoulder. She closed her eyes. "I don't know...maybe I deserve whatever's coming to me."

Artemis didn't know whether to roll her eyes or sympathize with the girl. She gulped. Was she going overboard with this revenge scheme? After all, what good would really come from ruining another life?

Miren wanted her to move on. And even if she told her this in a dream while she was heavily sedated, was she wrong to go against a dead girl's wishes? If she went through with this, she'd risk becoming the girl she was threatening to take down. Because what would really come from humiliating Penelope again?

Not Miren.

Artemis felt tears well up in her eyes. No, she wasn't heartless. Neither was Penelope. And going down this road would only make the two of them even more spiteful. So she hugged the girl, hoping that some of her morality would seep in. But she knew this wasn't some Disney fairy tale; she didn't know if she could warm the girl with eyes of ice.

Still, Penelope hugged back, and the sentiment of the moment washed over her. Her eyes widened. She couldn't do this. She was calling it off—she wasn't a life ruiner.

"Break a leg," Artemis finally said, as she broke the embrace.

Unfortunately, she was quickly losing fate in karma.

***

The afternoon performance for seniors was a success. As the elderly left, they reminisced about the 50's themed play as they complemented "the talented young lead". More like talented at being evil. Miren couldn't help but feel disgusted as she made her way back in the theater later in the day for opening night.

The final night.

Finally. She straightened the collar of the black blazer Jeno had lent her. Although she had borrowed his clothes on more than one occasion, she had never noticed his scent. It was a subtle mixture of cologne and body wash, simple and clean. It was everything he was, and breathing it in calmed her nerves, her heart beating a million miles a minute.

But she didn't let her trepidation show as she sat down. The lights flickered on and off, ten minutes until the audience was allowed to enter the auditorium. She sucked in a breath as Jeno sat down next to her.

"You get Theodora to tune your violin?" Miren asked, bringing her own instrument to her lap. It was another code, and although she should have been relieved when Jeno nodded, she just turned to the stage, where the curtains were closed. In the dim light, there was a glowing Bye Bye Birdie logo floating on the center.

"Everything should be in place," he assured her. "It should kick in during the second act."

"Excellent." Miren allowed herself to look around. She saw the reserved seats for the Julliard rep, Dr. Van Helsing, and some other celebrities/rich alumni Penelope had fooled into thinking she was a decent human being. The rest of the pit was a nervous ball of energy, even Mr. Gales had dropped his baton twice.

"All we have to do is play. We've done our part." The lights dimmed even more, and tuning instruments took the air. The ushers began to allow the audience to enter the space, and Miren felt her hands grow clammy and shaky. Jeno patted her shoulder, his stoic but warm gaze steadying her. "Wallace and Chara will handle it. Have some hope."

Miren rolled her eyes, shifting slightly from his grip. "Just like she handled it last time?"

"I thought you two made up."

"We did." She wrinkled her nose, noticing Jennifer Lawrence enter the space with a bodyguard at her side. "But hope only goes so far."

He pinched her shoulder. "Only one of us gets to be pessimistic here."

Miren rolled her eyes, but a small smile graced her lips. Truthfully, she didn't care how tonight went down. She was more upset that this would soon be over. Once they won this battle, they would grow apart, wouldn't they? No more mandatory hangouts. No more distractions from her fleeting feelings about Parker, or the shit she was putting Artemis through. They'd have to come up with another plan—probably more difficult, more risky than the last.

Fun.

The lights flicked on a final time, and Miren closed her eyes, taking in the sounds of the audience, the pit shifting anxiously next to her. Then the director was talking. There was silence as the hall darkened completely.

And the curtain opened.