Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"I can't believe this," Theodora said as she exited the conference room with Jeno. "What kind of an asshole would do that?"

"I don't know," Jeno commented as the girl leaned on his shoulder. In doing so, she saw the love marks on his neck. Her eyes widened.

"Did I really do that?" Her already rosy cheeks lit up with humiliation. "Why would I go that far in front of your family?"

Jeno shrugged. "I was a little too indisposed to stop you." They made it to the entryway of the main office. "Just don't use teeth next time."

"How'd the meeting go?" If Miren had remembered Theodora would be here, she would have run in the other direction. As fast as she could.  Without looking back. But her eagerness had gotten the best of her, and now she was literally and metaphorically stuck between them.

"Apparently Soren was responsible," Jeno said plainly. "I'd like to say it's shocking, but for some reason it isn't." As Theodora giggled, Miren's heart clenched.

"Well, as long as you guys aren't in trouble." Miren turned over her shoulder, where Wallace was. "I need to talk to Wallace. I'll chat with you guys later."

"Wait—"

She bolted before she could pretend she heard him. But this was becoming insane! She had to get what had happened off her chest. But then remembered her chest pressed against his, how defined his abs felt even between the fabric of his shirt...

Stop.

It.

She shook her head. She needed to vent, but the only person she could do so with would just mock her for her actions. Worse, he'd probably tell Jeno.

"He wouldn't dare," she mumbled, turning a corner to the main office. And because the day couldn't get any better, she walked right into Penelope, who appeared to concluding a phone conversation.

"Oh hey, Miles," she said casually. "What brings you here?"

"I..uh...have to meet up with Wallace to discuss my tech lab final." She tried to summon the same casual look of her mortal enemy, but she had the overwhelming urge to punch her in the face. "I wanted some fresh air so I decided to meet him here." Her eyes narrowed in mock suspicion. "What's going on here?"

"Nothing important," Penelope dismissed. "Apparently Soren was responsible for the video of Miren that interrupted my performance." She shook her head, her auburn hair as shiny as her fake personality. "Maybe they were a thing—I don't know. And I'm trying not to care."

"Well, you shouldn't." Miren crossed her arms, feeling a little bit more confortable. In a weird way her death was a better disguise than the drag. No one could see her. Not even a former best friend.

"It would be easier to relax if I knew his motive." She readjusted her messenger bag with a pout. "I don't know if he had accomplices or if anyone else is still going to try something. It's probably not even worth my time to be part of the spring play." She sighed, and although it sounded dramatic, it also seemed authentic. "I just don't want to let everyone down again."

The way you let me down? Miren wanted to retort. But a small part of her (probably the same part that still held feelings for Parker) actually felt sort of bad. She didn't know if it were because she could relate to failing her own expectations, or because she felt responsible. She clenched her jaw. Fuck feeling responsible.

"Anyway, I need to get away from here." Penelope started for the exit. "Care to join? I'm probably just going to get a snack on campus. I'd ask my friends, but I still don't know if I can trust them."

"Good to know I'm not your friend." The remark was more personal than she had intended, but she felt a small bout of relief when Penelope grinned.

"Drinks at the Koffee Kiosk it is."

***

It was just like old times except worse. Back then, Miren could allow herself to find ease in Penelope's company. Now, it only offered her an unrealistic amount of dread.

The only positive thing was that the wicked witch was a blabbermouth, which meant Miren was able to spend most of the encounter awkwardly sipping a some overpriced juice as her former friend went on about the hell she'd gone through these past weeks. But although she talked a lot, she didn't speak in specifics. She only reinforced details Miren was already aware of. Which made the setting all the more hellish.

"I'm trying to make a new leaf this semester," Penelope continued, pausing to take a brief sip of her non-fat, non-flavor beverage. "I think everyone's just confused about what happened between me and Miren. And I'm going to find away to clear my name."

"What about her name?" Miren said, turning toward the brick walls of the small Rosemunde restaurant. She didn't even know why she asked the damn question—she knew the answer. And it wasn't a good one.

"I can't save both of us." The homecoming nominee passively played with her straw. "She's already dead, after all."

Just as Miren decided to kill Penelope, she received a text. Jeno. She exhaled. And just like that, she gets to live another day.

She quickly scanned his message. He wanted to meet to go over the logistics of the new plan.

Little did they know she was already initiating it.