Chapter 16: Emotional Wreck

The Star Goddess 2
'Let The War Begin'
NaLu Fanfiction
By: JeRein_14

~°°♛°°~

Chapter 16: Emotional Wreck

Lucy's POV

"Told you it was fun." Natsu mocked, earning a scowl from me. After hours of playing in the lake, we finally left the water. I sat on the grass while the obnoxious pyromaniac went into the forest to look for something to eat. He's Natsu after all. He can't go on without eating..

He searched for about half an hour before he returned, fruits and firewood in hand. He made a fire and set up four fishes, which we caught earlier while swimming, to cook. He sat beside me, admiring the sight of the yellowish sky which was due to the almost setting sun. It was already 5:30 pm, night was fast approaching. I can't deny that i was already feeling cold. Despite the fire just infront of me, the cold night breeze blowing past us was still overpowering. My still wet clothes wasn't helping either.

"S-Shut up.." i stuttered, feeling another cold breeze blew past us. The pyro raised an eyebrow at my shivering form. Can't this guy take a hint? Doesn't he feel cold-err, right. He's a fire dragonslayer. He's practically a walking furnace. Also, due to his abnormally high temperature, his clothes were already dry. Lucky B*stard..

"You're cold?"

"No, i feel hot that's why i'm shivering to death here." Heavy sarcasm was evident on every word. What can i say? He's dense as a rock..

"Why didn't you just said so?" Without warning, Natsu pulled me up to my feet. He grabbed me gently by the arm and pulled me into a bear hug.

"Eh?! N-Natsu?! W-What th-"

"Shhh, Luce. I'm concentrating. I'm just drying your clothes with my fire." My eyes widened when fire started to enveloped us. However, fire was different from his usual. It was yellow with a hint of red. I squirmed, trying to get out of his arms but he only hugged me tighter.

"N-Natsu! Are y-you crazy?! What if y-your fire hurt me-"

"Did you honestly think i'll hurt you, Lucy?" His sentence got me to stop. His voice was hinted with hurt and disappointment which made tensed. I rested my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around his torso. He's right. His fire. Instead of feeling pain and hot, i felt warm, security and safe.

"S-Sorry.." we stayed like that for another two minutes, in each other arms. He didn't respond to my apology, making me feel anxious and uneasy. Did i make him mad? Silence fell between us. I didn't mind the awkward atmosphere. His hug brought comfort and security which i didn't knew i was longing for up until now. Releasing a breath, i felt him move out of the hug. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow which made me tilt my head in confusion.

"Luce, why are you crying?" Shocked by his words, i subconsciously touched my cheeks. I felt liquid freely flowing down it. What? Why am i crying?

"I.. I d-don't really know. Weird, right?" I tried to laugh sincerely but it came out forced, bitter and fake.

"Well, your a weirdo so it's pretty normal if you think about it, right?" I felt a vein popped on my head as i lightly punched Natsu on the shoulder.

"Shut u-up." Groaning, i slumped down on the ground and started munching on an apple i randomly picked up from the pile of pruits. Natsu laughed, sitting down beside me and started eating a fish.

"Seriously, though. You don't know why your crying?"

"Eh? It's nothing."

"I doubt it. I'm your bestfriend, Luce. You can tell me anything." He pushed on. I didn't answer immediately. Moments of silence passed by, sounds of chewing were only heard. Sighing, i threw away the remains of the apple, he did the same with the fish.

"Promise me y-you won't laugh.." i started, covering my face with my hands, suddenly feeling shy and embarrassed. What if he laughs at me? What if he thinks i'm overreacting or overthinking stuffs?

"Of course i won't. Why would i even do that?" He chuckled. From the gaps between my fingers, i saw him stood up from beside me to move and sit directly infront of me. He gently removed my hands from my face. I thought he was going to let go after that, instead he held unto them. He caressed them with his thumbs, his eyes never leaving mine.

"It's nothing serious, actually-"

"What's bothering you?" He finally asked, ignoring what i just said. He's really keen on finding out my dilemma. No need to ask him, he's worried. That alone made me guilty. He shouldn't be, it's just some petty thought.

"Well, i-it's just.. ahh.. i m-mean.. i-"

"Let me guess, you feel pressured and stress." I visibly tensed hearing this. With surprised eyes, i dared to look at him.

"H-How did you-"

"It was just a hunch. When i saw you earlier, i saw your exhaustion. Not physically but i noticed it in your eyes. The way you kept on stopping Celestia from taking over your work earlier, i found it suspicious. I have a guess why but i want it to come from you. So, Luce.. Why?" The softness and genuineness of his voice brought tears to my eyes once again. He really knew me. The stress i tried so hard to hide from everyone, he saw it with so minimal observation. Since he was sitting less than an arm length's infront of me, i subconsciously leaned my head forward, resting it on his right shoulder. It was too seek comfort, also to hide my flushed face.

"With all the duties, responsibilities and work, i feel stressed, tired and p-pressured. So many eyes are w-watching my every movement, making me feel insecure and conscious. One wrong move, i can d-disappoint them. So many what if's and d-doubts started to form on my mind. What if i fail? What if i'm not good enough? What if i make a m-mistake and can't fix it? What if i don't carry o-out my duties well? What if i don't become like my m-mother? What if i can't defeat Z-Zeref?" My ramblings came out hoarse and muffled, probably due to my cries. Tears were unconsciously flowing down my cheeks, soaking Natsu's shirt and scarf. I wanted them to stop but they won't listen. I've been bottling all this emotions and concerns for quite some time now. Even if i didn't want to confide to him, i can't seem to stop. Every single time i feel down and troubled, it's always him whose there and willing to lend a shoulder to cry on. It's his warmth and comfort i always seek whenever i'm in this kind of situation. His soothing words and small gestures always calms me down. I don't know when it started, all i know is that he has become my rock.

"Shhh.. you can never disappoint them, Luce. They're your family, too. The dragons, i mean. They would never judge you, remember that. We're always here for you. And your right, you can't defeat Zeref. It's because we will all bring him down together. You also need to know that you will never be like your mother when you become Queen. You are your own person. You can never be like your mom because you'll always be Lucy. And Lucy is Lucy, right? You will rule this realm by your own terms, ways and beliefs. Like how Lucy would." A shaky laugh escaped my lips hearing his little speech. I still don't know why he's labeled as an idiot. He can be good with words. He has his own unique way of using them, for advices and by convincing. While assuring me, his arms snaked around my waist, pulling me towards him. We were so close. I'm practically sitting on his lap but i can careless. Resting my head on his chest, i sighed and listened to the music of his heartbeat.

"Thank you, N-Natsu.. Q-Queen, huh? What if i don't wanna be a Queen?" from the close contact, i felt him tensed up. He was shocked by my words, no doubt. However, i didn't conduct any movement nor uttered any word to take back what i said. I mean it.. I really do..

~°°♛°°~

Hello!

I really love that quote! 'Lucy is Lucy". I know Happy was the one who said that (when Future Lucy died), but Natsu did said something similar, right? When he saved Lucy from Jacob. I think it really suits their relationship. Innocent..

Also, i heard about what Aya Hirano's interview. It surely cause an uproar to all NaLu shippers. But don't worry. With all that's going on, i highly doubt that NaLu wouldn't be canon. Also, i liked the idea. I can't imagine Natsu and Lucy to be all touchy and displays too much PDA. They're innocent. Remember that..

Please Follow me,

Read,

Comment or PM,

and vote!

Love lots,
☆JeRein_14