Chapter Twenty-Four {The End}

(Sara’s P.O.V)

“This is a bad idea.” Hayden whispered in my ear as we walked through the grave yard to where they were lowering the body of Detective Garwood.

“It’s going to be okay.” I replied quietly as I held on to Hayden’s hand more tightly. We made our way to the back of the line where a group of Garwood’s peers stood. I scanned the crowd and my eyes fell on the weeping mother of the dead. My heart clanged as another sob escaped her lips.

To think that I caused that pain is heartbreaking.

“It’s not your fault.” Hayden squeezed my hand and gave me a sympathetic look. “It’s not, it’s Tony’s and all these people here will bring him to justice. Garwood is a hero and every single person here knows that.”

Hayden’s little talk made sense to me, but the feeling of guilt was still there.  Yesterday morning when they found the detectives’ body in the ally surrounded by a pile of garbage made me sick. No human being should die like that.

“I know. I just wish that they would catch him already. I’m tired of hiding and looking over my shoulder every time I walk out.” I watched as the priest got up and stood next to the grave. He began by saying a few words about Garwood and his life. Next, his chief stood up and a few of his partners, all had fond memories of the man they called their friend.

The serves drew to an end and everyone headed to their cars.

“Do you think we can go see Chris tonight? I miss him.” I say as I loop my arm with Hayden’s.

“Yeah, I miss him too.” he smiled down at me.

“Hey Mr. Bell. Where to?” Hayden’s new driver/ bodyguard opened the car door for us.

“Home Sam.” Hayden answered as I hopped in and waited for him to slide in, so I could rest my head against his shoulder.

The car went into motion and I relaxed. This month has been horrible and I just wanted this to end. I wanted them to capture Tony. I wanted to finally have a peaceful sleep and to be happy again. I glanced up at Hayden and he was busy with his phone, probably work.

God, this man is amazing. I can’t imagine going through all this without him. He was the only reason I was still alive. I keep asking myself what I did to deserve him, but there was no answer. I was just lucky.

“I love you.” I stated bluntly.

Hayden dropped his gaze to mine and said nothing.

“I just wanted you to know that. You don’t have to say anything, no pressure.” I hastily added. Well that went well.

Hayden didn’t say anything for a while, so I averted my gaze to the TV at the corner of our limo. Slowly Hayden tipped my head back and captured my lips with his. It wasn’t a rushed kiss, but a simple one that was tender and sweet.

Suddenly we shrugged forward as the car came to a stop. Hayden held me tightly stopping me from falling over.

“You okay?” he asked, I just nodded my head.

Bang bang

“What the hell?” Hayden looked out the window and I glanced from behind him.

Sam our bodyguard was on the ground clutching his chest. I heard the front t door open and the car sped off again.

“Hey sis, glad you still grace the land of the living.” Tony’s gravelly voice sounded through the speakerphone. “Now please keep your hands and feet in the car at all times.”