Chapter Nineteen

(Hayden’s P.O.V)

“Chris, who’s this?” Sara asked, from where she sat on the floor next to my son. She had a Captain America action figure in her hand.

“Captain America, he’s super strong,” my son commented as he went back to playing with his toys.

It was one in the afternoon, and I was exhausted. Maybe it was the fact that yesterday I had to burry my girlfriend’s father and watch her later one sprawled on the concrete ground, blood covering her face, and then at the hospital sleeping. Those images kept me awake all night long, every time I even tried to close my eyes I would picture Sara laying there on the ground so helpless.

She looked a lot better today, she had a small stich on her cheek and her left hand was twisted, but other than that she looked fine. I know that this little everything’s fine act she’s putting on is just breaking her apart from inside, but she won’t let me help her.

“Hey, you okay?” Sara was suddenly standing in front of me, looking down at me with those big brown eyes.

“Yeah I’m fine, why do you ask?” I smiled up at her, as she placed the action figure on the coffee table.

“You just have this weird look on your face.” I grabbed her hand and pulled her down on top of me, she wrapped her arms around my neck to keep her balance.

“I was just thinking. How are you feeling today? Any pain?” I brushed her hair back.

“I’m fine, I guess. I’m just… I don’t know.” She sighted as she laid her head on my shoulder. I could smell lavender rising from her, it was addictive.

“You feel lost?” I suggested, and she just nodded her head.

I looked over at Chris; he was too busy playing with his toys to pay any attention to us. I can’t imagine leaving him behind in this world, not being there to watch over him.

“How about we go out?” Sara suggested as she straightened on my lap. She gave me a wide smile as she looked into my eyes.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, I mean after yesterday I think you should lay low for a while.” Her face quickly blanked.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. But you can’t keep him locked up here, you should take him out.” I knew she felt bad, but I wouldn’t just leave her here unprotected.

“He’s fine; he doesn’t even care as long as he has his toys. Relax, we are all fine.” I gave her a smile, but I knew she wouldn’t just drop this. “Sara, don’t even argue with me. We’re gonna have a nice day indoors.”

I just have to figure out how the hell am I going to entertain them for eight hours…

“Help! Help me!” Chris yelled as I continued tickling his sides, while he tried kicking me with his feet.

“Surprise attack!” Sara jumped on top of my shoulders causing me to let Chris go as she slid and ice-cube down my shirt.

“Shit!” I jumped up and removed it, when I was done I noticed that the living-room slash pirate ship is empty. I chuckled to myself as I grabbed my nerf gun and crouched down; trying to hear my opposing teams sounds.

“Shhh…” I heard Sara’s voice first, followed by Chris’s muffled giggle. It came from behind the couch, so I slowly made my way to the side of it taking a quick glance; sure enough they had their backs to me. I mentally counted in my head.

1…2…3…

“Attack!” I started shooting at. When they realized what was happening they quickly took aim and fired. And soon I had no ammo left, but they had a box. “Okay, I surrender.”