Chapter Three

“Guess who I ran into today?” I said as I pulled out the seat across from Belle’s. She looked at me with mild interest as she turned her attention back to her Ipad.

You think she would be more excited to see her best friend, but no her Ipad’s just more interesting at the moment.  We were having lunch to catch up on what’s going on, since I’ve been busy with work lately.

“Who?” she asked, laying her Ipad on the table and looking at me.

“Hayden Bell,” I stated, her eyes widened at the mention of his name.

“Good afternoon ma’am, are you ready to order?” I looked to my left to see a very well dressed waiter standing next to me with a notepad in hand.

“Uh, yes… I would like the Pepper-Honey Plank Salmon and a glass of water please,” I gave him a smile as he left with my order. I just realized how hungry I was, I looked around me and my mouth watered at the sight of the food that the people were eating.

“Sara! What do you mean you ran into him?” Belle exclaimed.

“He came into my office today, he’s getting a divorce. Can you believe that?” 

“Tell me everything!” ever since her daughter, Kim was born she became a little hormonal.

“I can’t tell you anything, he’s my client,” the waiter came holding a glass of water in one hand and a dish in the other. He placed them in front of me and left. Well that was fast.

I picked up my fork and knife and started eating.  Glancing at Belle, who had an annoyed look on her face.

“Client my ass, spill it babe. Or I’ll cut you with this butter knife,” she threatened, holding the butter knife up.

“Fine, well he’s been married for five years now; he has a five year old boy. They’re getting a divorce because apparently they didn’t really love each other; they just did it because he knocked her up,” I said before taking another bite of the mouthwatering salmon in front of me.

“Huh, well good for him. And lucky for you, now is your chance to finally hook up with him,” she said, clapping her hands together.

“What! No, I can’t date clients. Besides he’s just getting out of a relationship, he doesn’t need another one,” I took a sip of my water as she thought of another thing to ask me.

“Come on, he’ll be looking for someone to comfort him and that someone should be you,” she called the waiter and ordered the check, while I finished eating.

“Look I don’t want to be in a relationship, okay? I just need to focus on my job for now,” the waiter came and handed us the check. We paid and got out, Belle handed our valet tickets to the young man.

“You know honey you’re gonna have to start dating again, or you will become the weird aunt who has a lot of cats and buys everyone sweaters for Christmas. And that’s just depressing,” she said as her car pulled up. She gave me a hug before getting in and driving off.

My car came next; I tipped the guy and got inside. Thinking about what my friend just said to me, I drove off in the direction of my apartment.

I guess she was right; I do need to start dating again. After my last boyfriend left me, I just fell apart. James and I dated for three years before I found out he was just using me for my position on the social scale. The news crushed me because I thought we were meant for each other, but life screwed me over big time.

Still I couldn’t date Hayden for many reasons. First, he’s my client. Second, he has a son; who needs a mother figure (which I am not). Third… third… I’ll think about that later.

I reached my apartment and parked the car in the garage.  I made my way to the elevator and pressed my floor number.

I was lost in thought when the doors opened to the ninth floor; I stepped out and headed to my home.

“Hey Sara,” I turned around to see Owen, my neighbor waving at me.

“Hey Owen, how are you?” I asked as he came over to stand next to me. I was still holding on to the doorknob when he reached me. I let it go and turned around to face him.

“I’m good, you?” I had to tilt my head up just so I could stare into his eyes. He had long blond hair with blue eyes. He had the typical hot guy look going for him.

“Good, how was your trip?” I asked, noticing the tan he was sporting.

“It was amazing; we helped built a new clinic there. You should try and come next time,” being a doctor, Owen would go and join doctors without borders when he can.

“I would love to, but I’m not really one with nature. Still I would love to hear more about the work you did there,” I said trying not to sound like I was a bimbo who didn’t care about African children.

“It’s cool; I would love to tell you more about it sometime. Maybe even over dinner?” he gave me a smile as he asked that last thing.

“I’m a little busy right now, some other time?” he just nodded.

“Well I better get going, I’ll see you around,” he said as he made his way to his place.

I unlocked the door and stepped inside; turning the lights on I made my way to my bedroom. The bed looked so welcoming to me; I just wanted to crawl on it and sleep. Maybe I could take a quick nap?

I laid on it quickly without even taking of my work close off and drifted to sleep in a few minutes. Work can wait till later.