~Meeting Miles~

(--I can't put this picture as the main thing so I have to put it here x)-- ~2/23/2019~After nearly three years, I've decided to give this chapter a well-deserved editing

(--I can't put this picture as the main thing so I have to put it here x)-- ~2/23/2019~After nearly three years, I've decided to give this chapter a well-deserved editing.)

The small, grey dog continued to growl untrustingly as you entered his cage, Jerris wasn't kidding when he said the dog didn't like anyone.

You decided to try letting him know he could trust you by slowly getting down on your knees and whispering: "Don't worry, buddy, I'm not gonna hurt you. I just wanted to say hi!"

The dog didn't cease his glare-and-growl combo, you could tell he was listening because one of his ears twitched though.

"Hey, Jerris?" You looked back at him.

"Hm?"

"What makes this dog so 'special', anyway?" You questioned curiously.

Jerris sighed. "Well, if your gonna have any hope of getting to know him, I do think you should start by hearing his story." He looked towards the dog with sympathetic eyes as he spoke, making you slightly concerned.

"He wasn't always like this, the unfortunate events of his life left him this way. I'm sure when he was a puppy he was just like any other: High spirited and loving." He almost sounded guilty as he began.

"I learned that when he was just a few months old, a sweet little girl, about seven years of age went to the pet store he was in and adopted him. They got along perfectly--a true match, until six years after... A murderer had been spotted near their side of the country, and he was still at large. He was breaking into people's homes and killing them off before stealing what riches they may've had, no matter how little." He explained.

You gave him a shocked expression, then looked back to the dog, feeling full-on worried.

Jerris went on.

"The parents decided to use the dog to protect their daughter, but the price was steep--Not just in money. They sent him to trainers and scientists to better his ability to fight and enhance his strength in more ways than one, the family was very wealthy so they were able to do so without issue. The girl couldn't wait to see her pal again, but when he came home, he... he just wasn't the same. Those scientists... they did something awful to him. They conducted illegal, unbearable experiments on him, and worst of all, the parents allowed it-- they couldn't've cared less, not even after they were informed of the dog's suffering throughout."

You gaped, half wishing you'd just imagined what he was saying, but sadly you hadn't.

"That dog... he had the exact same attitude he has now; Every day he'd stare down and growl at everything and every person that came anywhere near him. However, when he was around the girl back then, he was gentle like he first was, but he was very serious. It was his job to protect the girl, and that was how the trainers taught him to behave, plus all the torture the scientists put him through left him on edge twenty-four-seven. He never played, never smiled, never showed any signs of friendliness at all."