Chapter 8

The picture above is what Maddy's wearing...

The next day was a bit colder than the day before. I put my hair half up half down and put on some jeans and a white shirt. Steve already left, so it was just me and Charlie today. I checked the time on my phone.

12:33

I decided to text Steve real quick, just to tell him to be careful.

M: Hey Steve. Just telling you to be careful at work today. See you soon!

I turned off my phone and got up to get some breakfast and feed Charlie.

"Do you wanna play, Charlie?" I asked.

He got in the play position and wagged his tail, barking. I started playing tug of war with him when there was a knock on the door.

"Come on, Charlie." I said, picking up the little cavapoo.

I opened the door and saw Ricky.

"Oh, hey Ricky. Come on in." I said, smiling.

"Hey." He said, kissing my cheek.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I told my mom about you and she wanted me to invite you and your brother over for dinner tonight. I mean- y-you don't have if-if ya know, you don't want to. I-"

I giggled.

"It's okay, Ricky. I'll ask Steve if he wants to go. What time should I come over if we decide to go?" I asked.

"6:30." He answered, blushing slightly.

I giggled.

"Come here you." I said, wrapping one arm around his neck.

I kissed him on the cheek and he pulled me closer, kissing my lips. I smiled into the kissed and pulled away, giggling. I looked into his green eyes and smiled. Charlie jumped out of my free arm and Ricky and I kissed again.

"I have to go, beautiful." Ricky said, kissing my nose.

"Mkay. I should text you to tell you if I can or can't go." I said.

We swapped phones and Ricky gave me his number and I gave him mine. After he left I picked up Charlie and we went back to playing tug of war until my phone buzzed. I picked up my phone and saw a text from Steve.

S: Thanks ShortCake 😝 I'll be back at 5:30.

I smiled and texted back.

M: Is it just me, or do you keep coming home earlier?😂

S: Nah it's just you. Probably cuz you're a little crazy

M: Haha. Hey, you know that boy we met recently? He lives in the same apartment building as us and he and his mom invited us over for dinner tonight. Can we go?

S: What room and what time?

M: Room 23 at 6:30

S: Oh, okay. Then no.

M: What? Why not???

S: 😂 gotcha! Sure I guess we can go. I'll see ya tonight.

M: 😂 thanks Steve!

I went through my contacts and found Ricky's number.

M: Hey Ricky. Steve and I will be at your apartment at 6:30 tonight for dinner! Yay!

R❤️: Yay! I'll see you soon, Cutie 😘

M: See you😘

I went back to playing with Charlie.

At 5:30, Steve came home to see me being a couch potato.

"Hi." I said while watching Hercules.

"Is this what you do all day? You watch Disney movies when I'm gone?" He asked, chuckling.

"No. I also play with Charlie and read and other stuff." I said.

Steve laughed and got me off the recliner.

"Come on. We've got dinner to go to." He said.

"Yeah, but that's in like an hour." I said.

"Then you can take a shower. By the way, everyone you met yesterday says hi."

I smiled.

"I've got friends now!" I said, getting up.

Steve laughed.

"Go take a shower." He said.

"Alright alright." I said.

I ran to the bathroom to take a shower. After I dried off I changed into a cute dress I got at Kohl's. Then I brushed my hair and teeth and did my makeup.
I walked out of the bathroom and found Steve.

"Your turn." I said, poking Steve in the side.

"Okay." He said, walking off.

Fifteen minutes later, Steve came out dressed in some nicer clothes and clean.

"Let's go!" I said, grabbing Steve's hand and opened the door. "Bye Charlie! Be good." I said closing the door behind us.

Steve locked the door and I led him down the hall to apartment 23. I knocked on the door and Ricky answered it.

"Hey guys." He said.

I looked up at Steve and he forced a small smile and nodded.

"Hi Ricky." I said, smiling.

"Why don't you guys come inside?" Ricky asked, taking my hand.

Steve's hand grabbed my shoulder and held it tightly. I looked up at him and smiled. I gave him a "don't worry look" and he let go. Ricky led me inside and held the door open for Steve.

"Hi. I'm Claire, Ricky's mom." A woman said, holding out her hand for me to shake.

"I'm Maddy." I said, taking Claire's hand. "And this is my brother, Steve." I said, pointing to Steve.

He smiled and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you. Ricky's told me so much about his little girlfriend." Claire said.

I giggled and Ricky blushed.

"Mom." Ricky muttered.

I squeezed his hand, reassuring him. He smiled and got a little bit closer to me. Steve cleared his throat and glared at Ricky, who rubbed the back of his neck and moved away a little.

"So, for dinner I made spaghetti if that's alright." Claire said.

"Sounds good to me." Steve said.

Steve walked in between Ricky and I and put his arm around me, leading me to the dining room.

"You're being protective again." I whispered.

"I'm supposed to, remember?" He whispered back.

I laughed and sat down next to Steve. Claire came over and handed Steve and I plates with our dinner on it.

"Thank you. This looks delicious." I said.

She smiled and nodded.

"Where's your dad?" I asked Ricky.

"He got held back at work." He said and I nodded.

After dinner, Steve and I started to say goodbye to leave when Ricky took my hand.

"Bye Maddy." He said, caressing my cheek.

"Bye."

We started to lean in when Steve cleared his throat again. I looked up at him and he smirked. I smiled. I looked back at Ricky and hugged him. Then I followed Steve out the door.